Dueling pianos and Catholic identity

This past weekend, I attended the "Dueling Pianos" night at Legends. The music was rather enjoyable save for one song. Due to numerous requests from the students, the performers decided to play a song by Tenacious D entitled "F**k Her Gently" (this is how iTunes writes the title. Tenacious D is more explicit). Many of you may know this song, but for those who do not, its content live up to its title.

Needless to say, this song completely degrades human sexuality and goes against Catholic teaching on this subject. Although the performers decided that they would play the song but sing only "95 percent of the lyrics," they encouraged the students to fill in the blanks aloud. Nonetheless, the message of the song was heard loud and clear.

I cannot help but feel that this is a perfect opportunity for the University to step up and defend its Catholic identity. As much as I enjoyed the rest of the show, the University should take a stand and stop allowing garbage like this to occur at Our Lady's University. Make an example of this group. Do not invite them back to campus. At the very least, inform them and other artists that come to perform here that songs like this should not be part of their performance. I firmly believe that Our Lady, Our Holy Father and Our Lord would not approve of such songs.

Notre Dame continues to claim to be the "Great Catholic University." It's about time to start showing it.

Tyler Deschamps

freshman

Alumni Hall

Nov. 15