Duncan wins construction award

John Tierney | Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Duncan Hall was honored with an award of merit in Midwest Construction’s “Best of 2008” competition in the residential/hospitality category, the University announced Friday.

Midwest Construction is a monthly magazine focused on the construction industry in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Eastern Missouri. It is one of 10 regional magazines published by McGraw-Hill Construction.

The University did not submit Duncan Hall for consideration for the award, according to University Vice President of Business Operations Jim Lyphout.

“I and the University Architect [Doug Marsh] were pleasantly surprised to learn of the award,” Lyphout said in an e-mail to The Observer Monday.

“We are extremely pleased with Duncan Hall,” Lyphout said.

Duncan Hall shares the award of merit honor from Midwest Construction with Dana Hotel and Spa, which is located in Chicago. The project of the year distinction in the residential/hospitality category was awarded to One Museum Park East, the tallest residential structure in Chicago.

An independent jury of experts judged the 128 considered projects on criteria including quality, project management, team work, and service, according to a Midwest Construction press release.

Lucas Oil Stadium, the new stadium built for the Indianapolis Colts, was designated as the Overall Project of the Year.

The 128 submitted projects were divided into categories to allow the juries to better judge the merits of comparable projects, according to Midwest Construction.

Duncan Hall currently houses 232 male undergraduates and opened in August 2008. The residence hall features single, double, triple and quad rooms, in addition to some doubles and quads that offer private bathrooms.

The dorm also features a second-floor chapel with a vaulted ceiling.

The hall was named after 1952 alumnus and donor Raymond Duncan.

Residents recently decided upon the “Highlanders” as the West Quad dorm’s official mascot.