FCC conducts project for homeless

Freshman Class Council (FCC) held their second event of the year Sunday afternoon, and made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and packaged meals for the homeless, FCC president Malcolm Phelan said.

"We thought this was a good combination of a childhood favorite activity and service toward community," Phelan said.

FCC bought supplies to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from their budget, and FCC members used meals at Grab N' Go to buy chips and juice boxes. Freshmen then made meals of a sandwich, chips and a juice box, said Phelan.

Freshman Catherine Soler, head of the FCC service committee that organized the event, said that around 315 sandwiches were made.

The meals were given to Hope's Shelter Men's Center and The Center for the Homeless, Soler said.

Both Soler and Phelan said that the event was a success and that the freshmen who attended were enthusiastic.

"The event was supposed to be two hours long and it ended up we got so many enthusiastic and efficient people that we finished all the supplies within 45 minutes," Phelan said. "We had to basically turn people away at some point because we didn't have anything else left to do."

"I think it was a good amount considering that it was a Sunday afternoon," Soler said. "Everyone there seemed to have a good time so we're thinking that it's an indicator for future events."

Phelan said that because the sandwiches were perishable, FCC was limited with how many they could make.

"In the future, we'd like to have more events where we aren't limited by supplies because we definitely have the manpower we need in the student body," he said.

Soler said that the FCC service committee has come up with ideas for future events, including a charity concert, an event that freshman athletes play games with children with disabilities, and a St. Baldrick's Day, in which people volunteer to shave their heads to support children with cancer.

Phelan said that students have non-service events to look forward to as well. These include caroling around campus and candy grams.

"The people who receive the most candy grams are going to be visited by the carolers," he added.

Phelan also said that students who were involved in student government in high school will have an opportunity to be involved. FCC is planning to form a committee comprised of freshmen who want to volunteer to help out with events.