Game Notes: Stewart reinjures knee running onto field

Junior lineman Chris Stewart reinjured his knee running on to the field during the first overtime period.

"Chris doesn't look very good. His knee locked out on the way out to the field," Irish coach Charlie Weis said Sunday.

According to Weis, the knee locked up badly which means that it will need to be scoped and Stewart might be out for the remainder of the regular season.

Fellow linemen Eric Olson and Trevor Robinson were also injured during the game but Weis said they would be practicing Monday morning.

Kicking things off

Ryan Burkhart's second quarter kickoff following the team's first touchdown was Notre Dame's first touchback of the season. Prior to Saturday's game the Irish led the nation in kickoff coverage allowing an average of only 16.3 yard per return. Pittsburgh averaged 18.5 yards per return.

Add it to the list

Freshman receiver Michael Floyd broke Notre Dame's freshman receptions record with 10 catches for 100 yards against the Panthers. Floyd now has 41 catches on the season.

The record was previously held by sophomore Duval Kamara who had 31 catches last year. Floyd also broke Kamara's freshman touchdown record last week against Washington.

"He just keeps making plays," Irish sophomore quarterback Jimmy Clausen said. "That's what he's here to do, make plays. He's done a great job throughout the season making plays."

Long day's work

Saturday's game, which went to four overtimes, was the longest game in Notre Dame's history. The previous long of three overtimes was set last year in a 46-43 loss to Navy.

The Irish have had three overtime games with Charlie Weis as coach and have lost all three. The first loss came against Michigan State in Weis' first season.

Honoring legends

Former Irish coach Frank Leahy was honored at Saturday's game. Leahy won two national championships in 1943 and 1946. For the two seasons in between championships Leahy was not with the team because he was serving in the U.S. Navy.

Leahy's son and grandson, both of whom played for the Irish, took part in the coin flip. In Notre Dame's final home game against Syracuse on Nov. 22 the Irish will honor the last of five championship coaches, Knute Rockne.