Heading to Rock’s house

Chris Michalski and Kyle Smith | Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Welsh Fam 14, Pasquerilla West 7

Same scenario, same result.

On another cold November Sunday, top-seeded Welsh Family eliminated fourth-seeded Pasquerilla West from the playoffs, just like they did last year.

This game, though, was much closer than last year’s, and came down to the last drive to decide the winner.

The Purple Weasels came out tough, scoring on their first offensive drive. Quarterback and captain Cara Davies found receiver Cynthia Curley in the left corner of the endzone for a score, and Davies added the extra point with a run of her own.

After Welsh’s subsequent failed drive, it looked as though the Purple Weasels would go into halftime up 7-0. But with 38 seconds left in the half, Whirlwind quarterback and captain Jenni Gargula made three long passes over the middle, with the third landing in the hands of receiver Meghan Mulhern for a game-tying touchdown.

Late in the second half, the Whirlwinds added seven more on a touchdown pass to Caroline Shakour.

The Purple Weasels needed a score on their next drive, and as they marched methodically down the field, hope was high on the Pasquerilla West. sideline. A pass interference call prolonged the drive and gave the Purple Weasels first and goal from the five-yard line. However, Welsh Family defender Katie Rehberger shut the door on the Purple Weasels’ comeback with an interception in the endzone.

With only seconds left, the Whirlwinds could take a knee and start their celebration as they had once again reached the Stadium.

“Even though we got down early, we stayed composed,” Gargula said. “We didn’t get down on ourselves and we knew we would win the game.”

The Whirlwinds will play for the championship next Sunday against McGlinn.

McGlinn 12, Farley 7

No. 2 McGlinn held off No. 3 Farley 12-7 Sunday afternoon, becoming the first Shamrocks’ team to ever reach the championship game.

Farley looked sloppy out of the gates, as quarterback Emily Murphy’s first pass of the day was intercepted by Casey Robertson, giving McGlinn prime field position.

The Shamrocks capitalized on the turnover as team captain and quarterback Sarah deGroot quickly connected on four of six passes for 40 yards, including a five-yard touchdown pass to Robertson. The extra-point attempt was unsuccessful, and McGlinn led 6-0.

On the ensuing possession, Farley threatened, led by Murphy, who broke down the Shamrocks defense on the ground, running twice for 41 yards.

Faced with a fourth-and-four, Murphy threw an incomplete pass, but the Finest got new life when defensive pass interference was called. Murphy took advantage, capping off the drive with a 3-yard touchdown pass. The extra point attempt was successful, and Farley surged ahead for a 7-6 lead.

McGlinn fought right back, as deGroot connected on back-to-back deep throws, a 31-yard pass to Kathleen Stanley and a 36-yard touchdown pass to Lauren Miller. Again, the Shamrocks couldn’t convert the extra point, but reclaimed the lead, 12-7.

On its next possession, Farley quickly turned the ball over as Murphy’s first pass was picked off again by Robertson, who had an outstanding overall performance for the Shamrocks.

“Everyone was really proud of her,” McGlinn captain Sarah deGroot said. “She has been really clutch for the team the whole year.”

The first half ended with McGlinn still clinging to a five-point lead.

Farley’s defense valiantly kept the Finest within striking distance in the second half, but their offense was unable to muster a second half rally.

Desperate to score, Farley resorted to using all four downs on their final three possessions, but the Finest were constantly thwarted by the stellar play of the Shamrocks’ defense, and McGlinn held on for the 12-7 victory.

With their victory, the Shamrocks now move on to the biggest stage – Notre Dame Stadium to fight for the championship, where they will face No. 1 seed Welsh Fam.

“We’re all pumped to go to the Stadium,” deGroot said. “We couldn’t be more excited.”

Heading to Rock’s house

Joe Meixell | Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Siegfried 14, Morrissey 6

Siegfried is moving on to the championship game with high spirits. as Sunday’s 14-6 victory over Morrissey gives the Ramblers a shot at glory in the Stadium.

“It was tough and cold out, and these are two really physical teams,” Siegfried coach P.J. Zimmer said. “But fortunately, we were able to execute when we needed to.”

The Ramblers were the first to put points on the board, as senior quarterback Max Young ran the ball in early in the first quarter, putting Siegfried ahead, 7-0, and giving the Ramblers a lead that they were able to keep for the remainder of the game.

A few minutes after, Morrissey was able to counter the touchdown with one of its own. Senior quarterback Joe McBrayer passed to wide receiver Carl Anderson for the score, but the Siegfried defense was able to block the extra-point.

“Our offense played well for most of the game,” Morrissey junior middle linebacker Phillip Yuhas said. “But Siegfried flied around and forced some takeaways, which really swung the momentum their way at some crucial points.”

The game carried on in a 7-6 stalemate to halftime, but after several second-half interceptions, Siegfried was able to carry out a win in an exciting finish. Senior running back Marcus Young added an insurance touchdown to bring the game to a final score of 14-6.

Morrissey’s season is over, but they are still looking to what future classes can bring them in seasons to come.

“We have a good foundation for next year, and our defense is still intact,” Morrissey’s freshman center Peter Teneriello said.

Siegfried will have one more week of practice to prepare for its long-awaited championship game appearance.

“We have a bunch of guys who have given their time and became committed emotionally,” Rambler offensive coordinator Rob Kelly said. “It’s elating to them to finally make it this far.”

Keenan 14, Stanford 8

The rematch of The Battle for the Chapel resulted in a win for Keenan and an opportunity to play Siegfried in Notre Dame Stadium next Sunday for the interhall championship.

The game started out well for the Knights, who scored on a long opening drive with a sweep running play to the left to running back Alex Gonzalez. However, for the remainder of the game, the Stanford defense did an excellent job shutting down the Keenan offense, particularly through pass defense.

“We had a little trouble passing the ball and the weather was really cold,” Keenan captain Barton Dear said. “We made some mistakes”.

The Stanford defense capitalized on some of those mistakes, giving the offense plenty of opportunities to put points on the board. Unfortunately, they were unable to do so, thanks in part to four interceptions thrown by Stanford. The Griffins’ only points came from a blocked punt that was returned for a touchdown. Stanford then completed a two-point conversion to give them an 8-7 lead.

Much later in the game, Keenan took the lead with a pass to Jim Zenker, making the score 14-8.

Stanford got the ball back with little time remaining, but pulled off a great hook-and-ladder play that put them near Keenan’s forty-yard line. Unfortunately, time ran out on Stanford, giving Keenan the win and eliminating the Griffins from the playoffs.

Keenan has one more week of practice to prepare for the top-seeded Ramblers.

“Obviously Siegfried is a good team. They’re undefeated, so we’re going to have to come out and play a good game,” Dear said.

Although Keenan will play for the interhall championship in their game against Siegfried, their win over Stanford was a significant win for them.

“It was great everyone was really excited after the game,” Dear said. “We’ve played a lot of games with them over the last few years and it was nice to get a win.”