Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Here Comes Suzy Snowflake

Winter seemed especially devious this year. It snuck in, teasing all of us on campus with the occasional warm day, even as the temperatures slowly dropped and those dark clouds rolled in. Tuesday's snow seems to announce that it is finally here in full force. But don't let those cold winds and gray days get you down. Here are a couple of ways to fend off that winter depression over the next few months here in South Bend.

1. Pretend you're a kid again. Surviving a Notre Dame winter is all about attitude, and the easiest way to keep your chin up is to remember when every walk through that winter wonderland invoked images of sledding and snow days. We don't get many snow days anymore, but it is worth it to try to approach it with joy. Reopen your eyes to how beautiful - and how much fun - all that snow and ice can be. Here's a hint: the hill between Bronson and Lewis is great for sledding.

2. Stay healthy. Eat well, exercise, and drink a lot of water. As the temperatures drop, we try to stay inside, eat lots of heavy foods and don't have the advantage of high temperatures to remind us when to head to the tap. Keep yourself in shape and you'll feel better through the season. Remember, if you bundle up properly, are careful with ice, and don't go out when it is too cold, you'll be perfectly fine going outside to exercise.

3. Really enjoy your coffee and tea. You've probably been drinking it all semester just for the caffeine kick, but now that it's cold outside, that warm mug is especially comforting. And don't forget that it is apple cider season!

4. Invest in some fun hats, scarves, and gloves. We are all going to be heading to class at the same time, so help each other out by adding some pizzazz to the trip. Pick out colorful winter accessories and don't be afraid to be a little silly. We'll appreciate you helping us put a smile on our face.

5. Pull yourself out of bed. I know it's hard when it's dark and cold outside, but keeping your regular sleeping hours (well, as regular as they can be for a college student) ensures that you don't cut into an already shortened day.

6. Stay social. Don't give into the temptation to avoid the cold at all costs, bundle up and get out. Winter is too cold to take on alone.

7. Of course, winter really does mean staying in some days. It is the time for curling up with a good movie. Take a few hours break and invite some friends over for a movie and hot chocolate with plenty of marshmallows. Try winter season classics or even your Christmas favorites as we move closer to December. Some good options are "Little Women," "Ice Age," and "Meet Me in St. Louis."

8. Do some winter cleaning and revamp your room. Move some things around and introduce some new colors and decorations. Even if it is just printing out those pictures from the last semester and summer and pasting them on the wall, it will refresh the room and how you feel in it.

Don't let winter win! Put a smile on your face, a scarf around your neck, and take a romp - never a trudge - through the snow.

The view expressed in Scene and Heard are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Observer. Contact Michelle Fordice at mfordice@nd.edu.