Howie Day to Play at Legends

Observer Scene | Thursday, November 6, 2008

Howie Day, singer of the hit “Collide,” comes to Legends nightclub this Friday at 10 pm. The 27-year-old Maine native has been playing music since he was five, when his mom got him a piano. After that, he discovered guitar and played in bands in high school before going heading out on his own, independent of a major label, to tour and promote his self-released debut CD, “Australia,” which he released in 2000.  After getting signed by Epic Records in 2002, Day released the album “Stop All the World Now,” which was a slow-burning success in part because of the ubiquitous success of “Collide” in late 2004 and 2005, a year where it appeared on numerous television shows and was featured prominently in trailers for the film adaption of “Pride and Prejudice” starring Keira Knightley. Day also gained popularity with “She Says,” which became a fan favorite while he was touring for “Australia” and was re-released on “Stop.” Day is known for his aggressive touring since the days when we was self-financing and was performing relentlessly in Boston and beyond. He’s toured as the opening act for Tori Amos and Sting, but lately has been on the flip side of that, like this weekend when he’ll come to Legends with Cleveland-native Nick Zuber opening. Zuber, like Day, has found success largely through self-promotion. Day is also known for his in-concert use of samplers and foot-pedals to accompany himself instead of playing against a backing track. His energetic performance style and the continued popularity of songs off “Stop” has kept his venues packed despite the gap between albums. News of Day all but disappeared in 2006 and 2007, except for an arrest at Boston’s Logan International Airport in December of 2005 for “flight rowdiness,” when he allegedly smoked a cigarette in a plane’s bathroom and verbally abused flight attendants. Day, who had been arrested once before for a separate incident, received a year of probation and had to attend an alcohol counseling program. Later, in 2007, tabloids said he and Britney Spears were dating. In February of this year, Day updated his MySpace blog after a long absence. “I have gone through a lot of the past couple of years, both personally and? professionally, and have taken the last few months to try and sort things out. I can’t thank you guys enough for being there for me through everything,” he wrote. After a stop here at Notre Dame and in Vincennes, Ind., Day plans to tour in Australia for the next month with his band.