Jagodzinski fires up team with recruting snubs

During Boston College's first team meeting to discuss Notre Dame last week, Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski had a question for his players:

"I asked how many guys were recruited, visited and offered by Notre Dame. There were no hands that went up," Jagodzinski said. "I told these guys that they may not be good enough to be recruited by Notre Dame but they're sure damn good enough to play at Boston College."

Coming up empty-handed

The Irish failed to score on the first drive of the game for the first time in their last four games. Boston College scored first, making Weis 9-13 in his career at Notre Dame when a team scores first. Other records of the Weis era: Notre Dame is now 16-1 under Weis when it allows 19 points or fewer, 5-14 when it allows an opponent's running back to rush for 100 yards, 7-10 when coming off of a loss and 4-15 when trailing at halftime.

Getting blocked

For the second week in a row, punter Eric Maust had one of his punts blocked. This time Boston College sophomore Ifeanyi Momah got his hand on a Maust punt on Notre Dame's first possession after the Irish fell behind 17-0.

"The punt last week we almost unfairly were jumping all over the punter for not kicking away from the pressure, but if he would've stepped the other way, there was pressure coming from that side as well," Weis said. "Tonight, there was a guy who, he didn't blow the protection, he just got run right by. So therefore, you blow the protection and turn one free."

Raindrops were falling on their heads

During Saturday's game, there were on and off rain showers, including some heavy rainfall just before kickoff.

But Weis said that that the weather had nothing to do with the struggles that Notre Dame had on offense. "It was pretty nice out there tonight," Weis said. "The weather wasn't a factor. There was really no excuse for that."

Mending the offense

Weis started to do damage control even before the game was over on Saturday.

Late in the game, Weis gathered his defense around and accentuated the positive with them and said he would need to focus most of his efforts on the offensive side of the ball this week in practice.

"There's two minutes to go in the game and the first defense is out and I brought the first defense over and I said, 'Hey, fellas, unless you pitched a shutout tonight, we're losing this game.' So I just went over all the positive elements they played on defense," Weis said. "I'm going to devote a lot more of my energy not to the whole team this week. I have to devote a lot more of my energy to the offense and special teams this week."