RHA recognizes residence leaders

The Saint Mary's National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) has been accepting nominations for induction into the organization for the second year since the beginning of November.

The NRHH, which is part of the College's Residence Hall Association (RHA) is an organization that acknowledges the people that make residence halls a great place to live, senior and NRHH president Shannon Egan said.

RHA first discovered the NRHH at the Great Lakes Association of Colleges and University Residence Halls (GLACURH) last year, RHA president Maura Clougherty said. Since RHA is part of a national organization they attend yearly conferences like the GLACURH to learn ideas and develop programs they can bring back to the College. RHA decided that the NRHH is a good program because of the uniqueness of the residence halls.

"By bringing an NRHH chapter to our campus, we are able to formally acknowledge those people that make our residence halls a wonderful environment, and home, to our students," she said. "We extended our reach as RHA, so that on-campus students can directly recognize the people they see making an impact in their day-to-day lives."

The people that are nominated are people who oftentimes aren't recognized on a daily basis as contributing to the residence hall environment, like residents, resident advisors and staff members at Saint Mary's, Clougherty said.

Last year, the first year the organization was on campus, Egan thinks there were over 100 nominations and she said the NRHH will probably receive about as many this year.

Being nominated is only half the honor though, because the NRHH then reviews the nominations and decides who to induct into the organization, Egan said.

"Last year, we had 14 student inductees and three building services inductees, for a total of 17 honorees," she said.

Egan said this year's inductees will be informed of the honor and invited to a banquet honoring them on Dec. 5.

Inductees from last year will also be invited to the banquet, she said.

The NRHH is accepting nominations at lunch and dinner in the Student Center atrium at a marked table, as well as at nomination boxes at the front of each residence hall and at rha@saintmarys.edu.