Seniors celebrate fathers

The Saint Mary's senior class honors a long-standing tradition this weekend by hosting Senior Dads' Weekend. About 400 daughters and their dads are expected to participate.

This weekend allows seniors to share their life at Saint Mary's with their dads, senior class council vice president Taryn Pabst said.

"I'm really excited for my dad to come visit and hang out with my friends and me," senior Dana Krilich said. "It'll be fun to show him what we do for entertainment while at school."

The father-daughter weekend begins Friday with a beer garden and silent auction at Haggar College Center from 5 p.m. to 7. All of the proceeds from the silent auction will go to the class treasury.

"We decided that a beer garden would a great way for the dads and daughters to mingle amongst themselves," Pabst said, "but decided to add in the silent auction, not only to raise money for our class, but to make the Beer Garden a little more fun."

The class has reserved bowling lanes from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. The bowling seems to be one of the most popular activities with almost 200 father-daughter pairs signed up, Pabst said. After bowling, a tailgate party and game watch at the College Football Hall of Fame is planned.

"I'm really looking forward to the game watch at the College Football Hall of Fame," Krilich said. "I've never been there and it will be more fun to be in a football atmosphere with other girls and their dads as well."

The weekend ends Sunday with a closing mass at the Church of Our Lady of Loretto.

Molly DiIorio and Molly Lamping are co-chairs of the Senior Dad's Weekend committee, a group formed at the beginning of the year to plan this weekend and choose the activities.

The seniors are not the only ones who are excited about this weekend.

"My dad is super excited," Krilich said. "He's been waiting for this for three years He loves Saint Mary's and is going to have a blast hanging out with me and my friends."