Students excited for Navy game

Despite Notre Dame's shutout loss to Boston College last Saturday, students are excited for the matchup with Navy Saturday. The Midshipmen come into the game fresh from a bye week.

Sophomore Katrina Corcoran, whose brother is a senior at the Naval Academy, will be attending Saturday's game. Corcoran said she believes the Irish will be able to win on Saturday.

"I believe the talent of our team will come together as one to defeat the Midshipmen," Corcoran said. "If we don't win, I'll be hearing about it for a long time."

Some students said the game against Navy will be a chance for the Irish to rebound from their recent losing streak.

"I think this is the week we finally get back on track," junior Sara Seidler said.

Students said the team might have added incentive to defeat Navy this weekend, since a win will give Notre Dame bowl eligibility.

"We're one game away from being able to go to a bowl game," sophomore Mary Kelly said. "Hopefully that will get the team fired up."

Another factor motivating the team this weekend will be Navy's triple-overtime win over the Irish last year, which ended Notre Dame's 43-game winning streak over the Midshipmen.

"Navy beat us last year when everyone expected us to win," Seidler said. "So that'll be good motivation for the team."

Sophomore Ashley Herrmann, who will also be attending Saturday's game, said Notre Dame's loss to Boston College did not hamper her excitement for the game against Navy.

"The Boston College game was a tough loss, but I love Notre Dame and I love Notre Dame football," Herrmann said. "I am so happy I have the chance to go and support the team at the Navy game. The players are great guys and deserve our support."

Irish coach Charlie Weis has announced he will be in charge of calling plays for Saturday's game, a development that has excited students.

"The play calling hasn't been the best lately. It'll be interesting to see how Weis does having assumed control of the offense again," junior Keith Ruehlmann said.

The trip to Baltimore will be Herrmann's first away game, and she is eager to see what Notre Dame football is like outside of South Bend.

"I think it will be great to see and experience the Notre Dame community outside of our own stadium," Herrmann said. "There is nothing like Notre Dame football and the fans it draws."

The game kicks off at noon and takes place at the MT Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md.