-

-

Vizio team wins Case Study Bowl

Molly Madden | Thursday, November 20, 2008

The final round of the Notre Dame Entrepreneurship Society’s Case Study Bowl took place Wednesday evening, as students attempted to prove it is possible for a company to be successful, even in today’s shaky economic climate.

The Case Study Bowl is a competition between three undergraduate teams each representing different companies and debating each other about specific companies of their own choosing, said club Marketing Officer Kevin Kray.

The Case Study Bowl first began in 2007 and quickly became the Entrepreneurship Society’s signature event. It is based on Harvard Business School’s own case study program.

This year’s Bowl started out with six teams representing six different companies. The preliminaries, held on Oct. 28, eliminated half of those teams leaving the remaining three to go head-to-head in the finals.

The three companies that were featured in the finals this year was computer giant Google, holding company Berkshire Hathaway and LCD television manufacturer Vizio.

Each group, composed of three- to five-man teams, had 20 minutes to discuss the history of the company, their current operations, the outlook for the future, and provide an overall analysis of the company in DeBartolo Hall. Following each individual presentation, three University professors serving as judges give their insights on the information presented and the team’s performance.

“Although the event will be educational and give the audience insight on these companies, it is intended to be a very fun and lively event with a sports theme, audience interaction, free pizza and drinks, an emcee and more,” Kray said.

While the Bowl is educational for the participants, it is also informative to the audience as well, Kray said.

“It teaches the audience about several highly successful and innovative companies, as well as how they can relate to them,” Kray said. “Students can learn about the companies being presented and learn how to relate their successes in their own lives. They also learn innovative and creative ways of performing presentations.”

At the end of each presentation, the teams discussed how their particular company’s ideals can apply and be implemented into the average student’s life. All three teams informed the audience to remain true to their ideals when setting goals and to always retain integrity in everything that they do.

After all the presentations had been given, audience members were given a ballot to vote on which presentation they thought had been the best overall. The audience was asked to judge each group based on the presentation of the material, creativity and the relevance of the presentation. The audience accounted for 50 percent of the vote, and the judges the other 50.

After all the votes had been counted, team Vizio was declared the winner of the Case Study Bowl.

“The Entrepreneurship Society is not just another nerdy academic club,” Kray said. “We wish to hold events that not only foster entrepreneurship and creative thinking but that are also fun and informative.”