Why the rush?

Have patience, guys ("Hark," Nov. 4). Having attended Notre Dame from 2004-2008 I got two opportunities to rush the field: our 2004 win over top-5 ranked Michigan and the 2005 loss to USC (fieldrushus interruptus thanks to the Bush-Push).

In both cases, I (and most of my fellow students) did not expect a win in those two games but obviously relished the wins when they happened. One thing that didn't happen was a ridiculous idea such as this last year when we went 3-9. I would have been embarassed to see my fellow students rushing onto the field after the last game, let alone capping my senior year with going on the field after that "epic" win over Duke (a team that is doing a lot better than Syracuse this year).

You have a lot to look forward to next year, highlighted by home games against Michigan State, USC and BC, three teams which could be pretty good next year. If you are that hungry to rush the field once in your four years here, save it for one of those games.

Dave McBride

alumnus

Class of 2008

Nov. 4

To My Fellow Irish:

As a 1994 graduate whose last game as a student was the loss at home to BC, I sympathize with your feeling somewhat frustrated by the absence of a definitive celebratory moment in Notre Dame Stadium ("Hark," Nov. 4). I implore you, however, not to rush the field after the Syracuse game. Dress up, jump around, even throw marshmallows (gasp!), but please do not attempt the spectacle of rushing the field after the game.

One of only two possible perceptions will result: the student body has laughably low expectations for the Fighting Irish; or the student body is being disrespectful to Syracuse who surely will leave the stadium in defeat. Imagine the headlines Sunday morning atop the less-than-friendly sports periodicals.

We will win the game, of that have no doubt. Save rushing the field for our victory over USC in November 2009. Your restraint today will make that moment all the more glorious then.

Yours in Notre Dame,

Stephanie Joyce

alumna

Class of 1994

Nov. 4

That has to be one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard. Please, take it from me, for the rest of the senior class, if you want to do something for us, stay off the field!

Sure, it looked like a blast when the kids from Texas Tech were rushing the field last week. However, please don't forget the reason they did it. They earned it by defeating the No. 1 ranked team in the land. I know you haven't had many chances to celebrate our team's victories, but our class had our opportunity. We played against No. 1 ranked USC here our freshman year, and just like the kids from Texas Tech, we rushed the field when we thought that we won. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out quite the way we hoped, but that was our chance.

There are great teams yet to play at Notre Dame. All of you who weren't here for that game will get your chance. Just be patient. Again, for our sake, don't run out onto the field against Syracuse. The whole point of students rushing the field is to make a statement. Texas Tech's statement was to announce themselves as a championship contender. What statement are you trying to make? That we're excited to beat one of the worst teams in college football? I would rather be remembered as the class that rushed the field preemptively against USC than the class that rushed the field against Syracuse.

If you don't like the rich tradition of Notre Dame that ties the students together with the alumni for one of the strongest bonds in college sports, please apply to transfer. Don't taint our traditions by stomping all over our field for no good reason. It's not worth it. Rushing the field would make us the laughing stock of the college football world. Please, for the sake of the senior class, all those who've already graduated and all those who will graduate from our great University in the years to come, stay off of our field.

Tony Ceravolo

senior

off campus

Nov. 4