-

-

BOARD OF GOVERNANCE: Groups ask Board for trip funding

Ashley Charnley | Thursday, December 4, 2008

College Republicans attended the Board of Governance (BOG) meeting Wednesday night in search of funds for their upcoming trip to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). The conference will be held Feb. 26-28, 2009 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington D.C. Seven students, including four executives will be attending the event along with 6,000 other college students from around the country.Erin Horvath, president of College Republicans, would like to use this opportunity to bring more conservative speakers to campus. “I don’t think the school does a good job of bringing both sides on campus, and so we are taking that responsibility on ourselves,” Horvath said. She also believes the conference will be a great chance for the students attending to network. “There will be several speakers, very notable ones. President Reagan has spoken there in the past. Sarah Palin will likely be in attendance this year,” Horvath said. Also discussed during the meeting was a co-sponsorship for Phi Beta Epsilon, the honor society for the math department, who is also planning a trip to a math conference in Washington D.C. from Jan. 5-8, 2009.They will be attending lectures and conferences as well as networking with other mathematicians, Courtney Perry, president of the honor society, said. She said she hopes to have a lecture sometime next semester to relate what the group learned while on the trip. The Sisters of Nefertiti attended Wednesday’s meeting to ask for funds for the National Black Leadership Student Diverse Conference they hope to attend.The conference, running Jan. 9-11, 2008 in Washington D.C., will be an intensive interactive three-day leadership experience with other students and leaders, said LaQuay Boone, president of the club, said. Once the students return from the conference, they plan to have a workshop, panel, or event in order to relate what the group has learned, Boone said.

In other BOG news:uElections commissioner Francesca Johnson announced that she will propose changes to the student government election process at next week’s meeting. She would like to move elections back a few weeks from the second week of the semester to February. To-go Mugs will be sold in the Student Center Atrium during lunch and dinner hours today and tomorrow, Sarah Falvey, student body vice president, said. Mugs will be one for $8 or two for $15, and can be used to carry drinks out of the Noble Family Dining Hall.