Dance marathon hosts purse party for charity

Saint Mary's students gathered in the basement of the College's student center Monday to purchase designer handbags and accessories for a good cause.

"We are hosting the event to raise money and awareness. It also brings something fun to Saint Mary's," said senior Sarah Voss, the Dance Marathon president.

Over 150 bags were brought to Saint Mary's for the event. Brands like Coach, Kate Spade, Prada and many other designer bags filled three tables.

Along with the designer purses, designer sunglasses, wallets, jewelry, headbands and scarves were available to be purchased at discounted prices.

Saint Mary's freshman Hanna Vicary attended the event.

"It's supporting a good cause and I want to get involved with Dance Marathon. It's a fun fundraiser. A lot of times it is like they are selling cookies or candles. This is something that I think more people can get involved with," she said.

Sophomore Mary Castle also shopped at the purse party.

"I knew all the money went to a good cause, and that's really important to me. I also need to do some Christmas shopping. I got a lot of girls on my list and I think they'll like these purses."

Students paid a dollar entrance fee to the event. A portion of the profits from the items sold will benefit Riley Children's Hospital.

"The proceeds will go towards Dance Marathon and the final donation will go towards Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis," Voss said.

Dance Marathon has hosted several events this fall, and is planning on hosting many more in the future, closing with the Dance Marathon.

"We'll be having a lot of events next semester, so we are really excited," she said. Saint Mary's junior Kelly Deranek, the vice president of publicity for Dance Marathon, Kelly Deranek said they were planning another purse party next semester.

"The money goes to the general benefit fund at Riley which helps the area of the hospital that has the most need. It changes from year to year what our donation directly benefits," Voss said.

"I think it's an incredible cause," Castle said. "The Riley Children's Hospital is a really important institute and I think it's wonderful what they are doing. I am glad I get to participate."