-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Observer Scene | Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The race is coming to an end! Classes taper off today and we only have finals week left to survive. Soon we’ll be home with mom’s cooking, or at least a well-stocked pantry, welcoming us back. So look forward to the indulgences of the holiday season and don’t forget to take some time to mess around in the kitchen. Until then, here are a couple of recipes to get you through that push to winter break.

This week’s recipes:

English muffin pizzas

These are an easy and tasty option whether you’re at home, in the dorm or in the dining hall. Pizza on demand. This will let you skip the long lines at North’s pizza bar, while still letting you choose some of your own ingredients.

1. Toast an English muffin until it browns.

2. Ladle some marinara sauce over each half of the English muffin.

3. Top with cheese, vegetables and meats. There are options all over the dining hall. Look to the salad bar for bell peppers, shredded mozzarella and cheddar, red onion, banana peppers and mushrooms. Use the Mexican Bar for black olives and sliced chicken. Try the pasta bar for meatballs you can cut in half. Want to get more creative? Replace the marinara with other choices like barbecue sauce, which is great when paired with chicken and cheddar cheese. You can even make a white pizza, topping it with a little olive oil, feta, black olives and mushrooms.

4. Heat your entire pizza in the microwave until the cheese melts.

Feta, tomato, and corn bread salad

Corn bread is delicious, but it rarely serves as more than the bread to go with the rest of your meal. This recipe mixes it with other ingredients to make a savory salad. Sadly, corn bread is not offered every day in the dining hall, but it does pop up pretty regularly, so keep an eye out!

1. Pick up a corn bread, feta cheese and diced tomatoes.

2. Pour some honey into a bowl and a couple splashes of balsamic vinegar to thin it out just a bit. Mix.

3. Break up the corn bread into bite-sized pieces and mix together with the tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese.

4. Pour some of the honey mixture over the corn bread, tomatoes and feta to give the salad a touch of sweetness and moisture.

Quick Tip

Make tortellini in brodo! Head to Italy and you will find that they often serve their tortellini in broth. To simulate it in the dining hall, take a ladle of Chicken in the Pot broth (avoiding the other ingredients) and then toss in some tortellini from the pasta bar. Thanks to Charlie Vogelheim for submitting this recipe.

Have your own dining hall recipe? We would love to feature it! E-mail mfordice@nd.edu.

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Observer Scene | Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Finals week is gearing up. We aren’t quite there yet, but suddenly our to-do lists are filled with the last papers and exams of the semester. And we’ll all need good fuel to make it through! Here are some recipes to fight off the hunger and hopefully give you a tasty break from the rush.

This week’s recipes:

Lemon Alfredo Pasta

You’ve probably noticed that lemon wedges are a frequent ingredient in these dining hall recipes. They are a good way to give a quick dash of flavor or balance out other ingredients, but in this pasta dish lemon takes on the starring roll. Mixed with a creamy Alfredo sauce and parmesan, lemon creates a tart, pleasant and flavorful pasta.

Pick up three or four lemon wedges and a grilled chicken breast.

Fill a bowl with short pasta and a ladle-full or two of the dining hall’s Alfredo sauce.

Add a dash of red pepper flakes and a bunch of parmesan cheese from the pizza bar.

Shred the chicken breast and mix it into the pasta.

Squeeze the lemon wedges over the pasta and chicken.

Add in a dash of salt and a bunch of pepper. Mix.

Bread Dipped in Olive Oil

Whenever you eat out at a good Italian restaurant, they always offer bread with the meal. Why not provide it for yourself in the dining hall? These directions are on the extraordinarily easy side, but it will help jazz up your dinner.

Pick up a hunk of good Italian bread.

Fill a bowl with olive oil and a couple dashes of balsamic vinegar. If you are in South, head to the spice rack and add a couple dashes of Italian seasoning and garlic powder.

Dip and enjoy!

Brownie Sundaes

This is a simple concept, but one that is hard to beat. Warm brownies melting your cold ice cream … what could be better?

Pick up your favorite type of brownie, whether nut filled or M&M topped.

Heat of the brownie in the microwave.

Top with your favorite ice cream – traditional vanilla and mint are good options.

Top with whipped cream, hot fudge, nuts (if you like them) and of course a cherry!

Quick Tip

Check out the waffle bar if it is open for extra ice cream toppings. Sometimes it will offer toppings (like whipped cream, nuts and syrupy fruits) that don’t make it out to the ice cream area, especially at South.