Dining Hall Dish

Finals week is gearing up. We aren't quite there yet, but suddenly our to-do lists are filled with the last papers and exams of the semester. And we'll all need good fuel to make it through! Here are some recipes to fight off the hunger and hopefully give you a tasty break from the rush.

This week's recipes:

Lemon Alfredo Pasta

You've probably noticed that lemon wedges are a frequent ingredient in these dining hall recipes. They are a good way to give a quick dash of flavor or balance out other ingredients, but in this pasta dish lemon takes on the starring roll. Mixed with a creamy Alfredo sauce and parmesan, lemon creates a tart, pleasant and flavorful pasta.

Pick up three or four lemon wedges and a grilled chicken breast.

Fill a bowl with short pasta and a ladle-full or two of the dining hall's Alfredo sauce.

Add a dash of red pepper flakes and a bunch of parmesan cheese from the pizza bar.

Shred the chicken breast and mix it into the pasta.

Squeeze the lemon wedges over the pasta and chicken.

Add in a dash of salt and a bunch of pepper. Mix.

Bread Dipped in Olive Oil

Whenever you eat out at a good Italian restaurant, they always offer bread with the meal. Why not provide it for yourself in the dining hall? These directions are on the extraordinarily easy side, but it will help jazz up your dinner.

Pick up a hunk of good Italian bread.

Fill a bowl with olive oil and a couple dashes of balsamic vinegar. If you are in South, head to the spice rack and add a couple dashes of Italian seasoning and garlic powder.

Dip and enjoy!

Brownie Sundaes

This is a simple concept, but one that is hard to beat. Warm brownies melting your cold ice cream ... what could be better?

Pick up your favorite type of brownie, whether nut filled or M&M topped.

Heat of the brownie in the microwave.

Top with your favorite ice cream - traditional vanilla and mint are good options.

Top with whipped cream, hot fudge, nuts (if you like them) and of course a cherry!

Quick Tip

Check out the waffle bar if it is open for extra ice cream toppings. Sometimes it will offer toppings (like whipped cream, nuts and syrupy fruits) that don't make it out to the ice cream area, especially at South.

Have your own dining hall recipe? We would love to feature it! E-mail mfordice@nd.edu.