Monday, May 6, 2024

Football: Irish get Hawaii bowl bid

Notre Dame accepted an invitation to face Hawaii in the Sheraton Hawaii bowl in Honolulu on Dec. 24, the University said in a press release.

Notre Dame has played in Hawaii three times before. The Irish lost to Southern Methodist 27-20 in the 1984 Aloha Bowl, and beat Hawaii in the regular season in 1991 and 1997.

"We're very excited about heading out west to play in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl," Irish coach Charlie Weis said in the release. "This is a great opportunity for our team to face a quality opponent in their backyard and we'll need to be ready.

"I know the extra practices this month will really benefit our team and we look forward to ending this season on a good note."

The Hawaii bowl is Notre Dame's 29th in school history and fourth in the past five seasons. The Irish have not won a bowl game since 1994, when it defeated Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl 24-21. Notre Dame is 13-15 all-time in bowl games.

Hawaii is 5-3 in bowl games since it joined the Bowl Championship Subdivision in 1974. The Warriors are 7-6 this season.

"We are thrilled to have the University of Notre Dame in the 7th Annual Sheraton Hawaii Bowl," Sheraton Hawaii Bowl Executive Director David A. K. Matlin said in a release. "Notre Dame is a storied football tradition and we are honored to have both them and the University of Hawaii in our 2008 game."

ESPN will televise the game at 8 p.m. EST.