Senior sponsors meal for homeless

Thanks to a Saint Mary's senior, students were not the only ones able to enjoy the Noble Family Dining Hall's annual Student Christmas and Feast of the Immaculate Conception holiday dinner last night.

About 35 guests, including babies and children, attended the event from the Center for the Homeless in downtown South Bend.

Senior Theresa Klinkhammer brought the idea to Carrie Call, the director for the Office of Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE). The OCSE is a resource center for the College with information on community service, one-time volunteer events, service-learning, special speakers and events relating to community engagement.

"Theresa was the one with the idea for the dinner and I thought it was a great opportunity for us to share our bounty," Call said.

Klinkhammer, a resident assistant in Regina Hall, sent an e-mail to her residents letting them know that the guests would arrive on campus at 5 p.m. and inviting them to attend the dinner. Call sent an e-mail informing the student body of the event as well.

Call told students that they could help welcome to guests to Saint Mary's by eating with them at tables reserved in the West Wing of the Dining Hall.

While students attending the Holiday Dinner had to swipe a meal from their meal plan to enter the Dining Hall, tickets were made available for those living off-campus to attend for free.

Many students gave the guests a warm welcome, helping families with childcare as parents enjoyed the candlelit dinner until around 6 p.m. when the families moved to Regina Hall. Call said about half the families would attend a Vespers, or evening prayer, service for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and Advent.

The other half went to the Regina North Lounge to play games with students, Call said.