SMC Basketball: Belles welcome Trine to open conference slate

After a tough start to the season that pitted Saint Mary's against a number of strong non-conference opponents, the Belles will open MIAA play against Trine University Wednesday night at the Angela Athletic Center.

Saint Mary's rode its strong offensive attack to a fourth-place finish in the conference last season with an 8-8 record. The Belles will look for a fast start against the Thunder, who finished eighth last season with a 3-13 record.

The Belles got the ball rolling this season with a couple of quality wins. In the first game of the season, they had no trouble finding their shot in a 70-60 victory over Ohio Wesleyan in the first round of the Anderson College Tip-off tournament. In the championship game, they took on a solid Robert Morris team and were edged out on the final possession, 65-64.

It didn't take long for the Belles to bounce back. In their next game, Saint Mary's broke a 10-game losing streak against Wheaton College by narrowly defeating the Thunder, 81-78.

The Belles dropped two contests in their annual Thanksgiving classic against Otterbein College, the eventual tournament champion, and No. 21 University of Chicago.

With some very competitive games behind them, Saint Mary's will lean on the early season experience as they look to notch quality wins later on against the conference's elite teams.