STUDENT SENATE: Grab 'N' Go options discussed

The Student Senate discussed the expansion of Grab 'N' Go options in their weekly meeting Wednesday, after receiving the results of a recent survey conducted by the Senate Committee on Residence Life.

Senate Committee on Residence Life Chair Joy Hwang said Food Services representatives were adamant that Grab 'N' Go food options did not replace the dining halls as students' primary food source, but were open to suggestions for improvement.

"They said they wanted to find a balance," she said.

Hwang also said it was unreasonable to accept extravagant options at the Grab 'N' Go stations.

"We will never have make-your-own sandwiches because it takes too long and there's not enough space," she said.

Senate Academic Affairs Committee chair Ryan Brellenthin said students would always go to the dining halls because they provide a community atmosphere.

"Just the fact that the dining halls are places to eat will make people go there," he said.

Hwang said the survey results showed students wanted healthier options, but their top suggestions for new items were Easy Mac and canned soda.

Morrissey senator Austin Holler said there were plenty of healthy options already available, including salads and vegetable trays.

"I think there are enough healthy options," Holler said.

O'Neill senator Kevin Kimberly said while healthy options are available, they often cost too many points.

"No one wants to get vegetable trays when they cost three points," he said.

Lewis senator Robin Brown said her friends had complained about the lack of vegan and vegetarian options.

"I'm friends with two vegans and they're pretty upset their options are so limited," Brown said.

Some senators complained that they could not swipe for multiple meals at the same time, but student body vice president Grant Schmidt said dining hall representative told him "there was no room for improvement on that one."

Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Brian Coughlin said dining hall representatives wouldn't allow students to swipe for multiple meals because "the dining hall budget is built upon the idea that people use only nine of the 14 meals every week."

Brellenthin said the Food Services should inform students they only plan for the students who use nine of their meals and students should be allowed to use their meals whenever they want.

"If we're given 14 meals it shouldn't matter when we use them," he said.

Student body president Bob Reish said allowing students to use their meals at any time would force the University to increase room and board charges.

"If we do suggest that, this would probably increase everyone's board," Reish said.

The survey also included questions about lowering prices on Notre Dame's golf courses, but most senators said their dorms weren't interested.

"Most people said that they would like lower prices but it wouldn't make them go out and play golf," Kimberly said.

In other Senate news:

uReish and Schmidt announced ESPN College Gameday would be on the Notre Dame campus for the first time ever when the men's basketball team takes on the University of Connecticut Huskies on Jan. 24, 2009.

"I think everyone's kind of shifting towards basketball," Schmidt said.

uThe Senate passed a resolution calling for printers to be placed in every dorm. The Campus Life Council recently passed the same resolution.

"This is a very simple resolution promoting printers in every dorm," Siegfried senator Ryan Hawley said. "The reason we need to get this done as quickly as possible is because they're discussing the new contract for printer service."

The resolution will now go to Executive Vice President John Affleck-Graves for approval.

uUpward Bound Program Director Alyssia Coates visited the Student Senate to promote the Fr. Ted Fun Run/Walk, which will take place on Apr. 26, 2009. Coates wanted the senators to advertise the program and the event in their dorms.

"Our mission is to help students from the South Bend community high schools get into college," she said. "And the way to do that is to use students like you."