The Knux succeed with studio debut

Patrick Griffin | Sunday, December 7, 2008

One would be surprised to learn the self-categorization of the duo that make up The Knux considering their criminal past and the company they continue to keep.

Despite their arrests for involvement in an I.D.-forging and auto theft ring, the brothers from New Orleans cite artists such as Radiohead, Led Zeppelin and the Strokes as some of their strongest influences.

“We spent our youth thuggin’,” Kintrell ‘Krispy Kream’ Lindsey told “Blender” magazine in their December issue. “I know the same people back home [Lil’] Wayne does. The dudes he calls to get someone knocked off? Same dudes I’m gonna call.”

The flannel clad duo of Krispy Kream and his brother, Alvin ‘Rah Almillo’, recently released their debut album: “Remind Me in 3 Days…” The two account for 100 percent of the album as they played every instrument including guitars, synthesizers and bass.

Growing up in the tough environment of New Orleans’s Ninth Ward, the Lindsey brothers were made to practice the trumpet, trombone, and French horn by a domineering mother. While their peers notched legal altercations all over the streets of New Orleans, Kintrell and Alvin excelled in their school’s marching band.

Their mother’s tough love eventually generated the critical acclaim that they have enjoyed of late. The Knux have garnered mass recognition and have established themselves as contenders in the developing “hipster rap” genre.

Though the band recognizes their gangster rap influences, The Knux are more than just repetitive beats and arrogant lyrics.

“We want to bend rules in our music,” Krispy explained to “Blender.” “Hip-hop is just the lens we run all our influences through.” That is just what the brothers Lindsey have done with their initial mainstream effort.

Though their lyrics channel the likes of fellow rappers such as Big Boi of Outkast and The Roots, it is the instrumental styling on display in “Remind Me in 3 Days…” that distinguishes The Knux from most hip-hop regulars. Krispy Kream and Rah Almillo combine original and exploratory beats with crunchy guitar rifts that are both simple and memorable.

In the sixteen-song album, The Knux explore a broad range of subject matter including the typical topics of sex and money. However, the duo also delves into their troubled past and ongoing redemption from their previous legal conflicts.

Other tracks celebration the illustrious party lives that the brothers now enjoy. In fact, the album’s initial track opens with a dialogue featuring Krispy with the background ambience of a nightclub.

Most of the tracks are creatively distinct from each other, providing a brand new experience for every successive track.

One of the few negative observations of the album may be attributed to the album’s length. Because the rookies released a high quantity of tracks, some pieces seem to lack key instrumental participation, as if the songs were hastily tossed together.

It is almost as if The Knux had some leftover lyrics that they just couldn’t leave on the back burner, but no significant accompaniment to accent the vocals. Thankfully, these monotonous songs are few and far between, and there are still plenty of quality tracks.

For a band only several years removed from serious legal ramifications, The Knux have done well to entirely reinvent themselves in a way most beneficial to the public.

As the hip-hop industry continues to evolve, resulting in a most dynamic sound, The Knux have proven to be a musical force with a promising future.