The Revised X-mas playlist

On Monday, Analise Lipari published a list of the best Christmas songs. Now, Analise is a really nice person. She's always super positive, and she was the only Observer staffer who voted for my niece for Cleveland's cutest baby. She's also very knowledgeable in all things Scene. However, she really dropped the ball-shaped ornament on this one.

Not only did she leave out some serious classics, but her Bing Crosby and Amy Grant choices were positively absurd.

I just couldn't let her version stand as the official list. Plus, I figure a lot more people will see this one than saw hers, because no one really turns to the Scene page. That sounds mean, but it's not because Sports is just way better.

On to the new Top 10 (or however many my word count allows):

10. "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" - I'll give her that one. The "Gloria" part is really fun to sing.

9. "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" by John Denver and the Muppets - "Now bring us some figgy pudding - Piggy pudding?? -  No, figgy pudding. It's made with figs. - Oh, sorry. - And bacon." Classic.

8. "Grown Up Christmas List" by Amy Grant - I agree that Grant's Christmas album is a staple, and most of the songs are absolutely beautiful. This one is by far the best for the idealistic college student.

7. "Ho Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rhum" by Jimmy Buffett - I don't know about you, but in my family, it's just not Christmas without Jimmy Buffett and alcohol. Actually, it's just not my family without Jimmy Buffett and alcohol.

6. "I'll be Home for Christmas" by Bing Crosby - I don't think this one needs explaining.

5. "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)" - Appeals to kids from one to 92. This song has been covered well over 100 times, and after some exhaustive Rhapsody-ing, I decided that Nat King Cole's original is still the best.

5a. I did find a version by our very own Regis Philbin, on "The Regis Philbin Christmas album." Didn't see that coming. I listened to the whole thing. It wasn't good.

5b. On my search I also found "The Ann Arbor Chainsaw Massacre Christmas Song" by the Dead Schembechlers. It was excellent.

4. "This Christmas Day" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It's absolutely impossible to pick one TSO song, but I gave it a shot.

I'm already way over my word count, so skipping ahead...

1. "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gayla Peevy - It's my mom's favorite, and I haven't bought her a present yet. Merry Christmas, Mom.

Merry Christmas to everyone else as well!