Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thurs: Red, 7 p.m., Browning Cinema

When a senseless, cruel act devastates a lonely Korean War veteran, he refuses to accept the outcome and pursues justice. Widowed Avery Allan Ludlow, a man whose closest companion is his 14-year-old ginger-haired dog named Red, loses his best friend at the hands of three thieving teenage boys. The boys escape but the story doesn’t end there. Ludlow will settle for nothing less than justice in the name of Red, and is scorned by the community as a result. Will his efforts pay off? Take a study break and head to Browning Cinema to watch this touching film. Tickets are $6 for the public, $5 for faculty/staff, $4 for seniors and $3 for students.

Fri: Madeline’s Christmas, 7:30 p.m., Elco Performing Arts?Center

In this sweet performance, which will take you on a trip down memory lane, the story of Madeline’s Christmas Adventure is brought to life, recalling the tale so many of us grew up loving. When Madeline’s peers come down with a bad bout of the flu just before Christmas, she is faced with the tough decision of sticking around to care for her friends or heading home for the familial holiday. She is overcome with compassion and decides to stay in Paris to comfort her bed-ridden pals. An adventure ensues when a rug merchant with some magical rugs shows up at the “old house in Paris that was covered with vines.” The performance will take place at the Elco Performing Arts Center. See www.artseverywhere.com for details.

Sat: Glee Club Concert, 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., Leighton Concert Hall

The fabulous glee club is at it again with its annual Christmas concert, a program that will explore classic carols, contemporary music and traditional works that will appeal to all audiences. Not only will this concert ease the mind, but it will also ease the financial burdens placed on the South Bend Center for the Homeless because all proceeds go to benefit this organization. Be entertained and help out the South Bend community by attending the Glee Club’s performance Saturday. Tickets are $8 for the public, $6 for faculty/staff, $5 for seniors and $3 for students.

Sun: Nature Photography by David Hachen and Pottery by Jane Pellouchoud, Opening Reception 2 – 4 p.m., Jewish Federation of St. Joseph Valley

Explore the opening reception of one of Notre Dame’s very own premier photographers, David Hachen, and the pottery of Jane Pellouchoud, an artist and DJ for WRHC radio harbor country. The exhibit will open at the Jewish Federation of St. Joseph Valley and the artists will be available for a meet and greet on Sunday. This free event will help stimulate the right side of your brain, just in time for Monday’s finals! The Gallery will be open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, December 3, 2008

In the Holiday Spirit Cooking Class. 6:30 p.m. Martin’s School of Cooking

Brandy walnut glazed brie, bourbon glazed ham, Grand Marnier roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed green beans a la Frangelico and cherries jubilee are on the menu for this fantastic cooking class that will give you great ideas for items to add to your cooking repertoire this Christmas. Learn how to delight and dazzle guests by adding an extra punch of “fun” to your holiday dishes with a pinch of brandy and a touch of Frangelico. Chef Scott Rossen will guide and teach newcomers with special enthusiasm and zeal. Tickets can be purchased for $25 at the customer service counter of Martin’s Super Markets at Heritage Square. Call (574) 807-8220 for details.

“Burn After Reading.” 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. 101 DeBartolo

The Coen Brother’s follow up their gritty Academy Award winning “No Country For Old Men” with this farcical story of stolen CIA information, infidelity, mistaken killings and a lot of buffoonery. Former CIA analyst and alcoholic Osbourne Cox (John Malkovich) has his personal files copied off his computer by his divorce-seeking wife Katie Cox (Tilda Swinton) who gives them to her lawyer. When the lawyer’s receptionist leaves them at the gym Hardbodies, the disc of files finds its way into the hands of employee Chad Feldheimer (Brad Pitt) who mistakes it for highly classified information. He teams up with another employee Linda Litzke (Frances McDorman) and they attempt to blackmail Osbourne. What results is hilarious and calamitous. Tickets are $3.

Winter Boutique. 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. South Bend Museum of Art.

Looking for the perfect gift this holiday season for your mom, dad, sibling or significant other? Stop by the third annual Winter Boutique sale at the South Bend Museum of Art to find that perfect treasure which will bring a smile to their face, brighten up their room, and eternally remind them of your love. Featuring artwork created by South Bend’s very own premier artists, the sale will raise money to help purchase new equipment for the museum’s studios. This Saturday will feature a special Holiday Art Walk that will guide participants to all of the fantastic art studios and galleries around downtown South Bend while providing warm refreshments and infusing a good dose of holiday cheer. Tickets are free.

It’s A Wonderful Life. 2 p.m. Amish Acres.

The 1946 Christmas classic “It’s a Wonderful Life” is brought to the stage for a special performance this season and is one you’ll definitely want to see. Based on the classic Frank Capra film, this theatrical show follows the life of George Bailey, a man going through rough financial times at Christmas (a situation we can relate to both as college students and with the economic downturn) and losing heart and hope that things will look up. Guided by his personal guardian angel, Bailey finally realizes just how much there is to live for and comes to recognize the things that truly matter. Be reminded of the many blessings you have this winter by attending the Amish Acres’ performance of “A Wonderful Life”. Tickets are $30 for adults and $15 dollars for children. Visit www.artseverywhere.com for show details.

Contact Adrian Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.