College celebrates history this week

Saint Mary's students have the chance to reflect on over 150 years of history at the College during the annual Heritage Week events, which began Monday.

Heritage Week replaced Pride Week almost four years ago. The event seeks to unite the College and educate students about its rich background.

Coinciding with the feast day of Blessed Basil Moreau on Jan. 20, Board of Governance Chief of Staff Lauren Theiss has organized the events throughout the week.

"Heritage Week is a time for students to learn about the history of Saint Mary's and to be able to appreciate the wonderful college that we attend," Theiss said.

While the event runs for a week in late January, the planning has been going on since November and continued over Christmas break.

Remaining events during the week - open to everyone on campus - include Bingo with the Sisters on Thursday in the convent and a reading of the poetry of Saint Mary's President Emeritus Sister M. Madeleva Wolff, known as Sister Madeleva, in the Reidinger House on Friday.

Keeping up with the tradition, tours of the Reidinger House, where Saint Mary's students once went to learn traditional etiquette, will be available on Friday. This House is where alumni stay when they return to campus and is only open a few times during the academic year.

On Wednesday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m,, Heritage Week T-shirts were passed out in the Student Center.

"The front left corner of the shirt has the SMC script and says Heritage Week 2009. The back has a picture of the avenue with the quote, 'It is not the honor you take with you, but the heritage you leave behind,'" Theiss, said.

The culmination of Heritage Week is the gathering Friday night.

"The highlight for the week will be the Heritage Dinner on Friday night," said Theiss. "The Sisters, administrators and students gather for dinner in Stapleton Lounge and exchange stories and experiences shared at Saint Mary's.

Saint Mary's first year Alexandra Lowe picked up a free shirt and said she is excited about Friday's Heritage Week events.

"I live in Holy Cross Hall so I pass the Reidinger House multiple times a day. I am excited to finally see what it looks like inside," Lowe said.