-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Observer Scene | Thursday, January 29, 2009

Studies have shown that children who eat breakfast do better in school. Since we are all pretty much just an advanced stage of schoolchild and we probably need all the help we can get (I know I can), this week Dining Hall Dish offers another breakfast edition. So grab yourself a cup of coffee and get ready to start your day.

This week’s recipes:

Hash Brown Casserole

This is basically your average egg breakfast cooked up into a casserole to make it a little more warm and homey. Layer it all up and enjoy!

1. If you are in North: Head to the make your own eggs bar. Scramble one or two fresh eggs, diced tomatoes, diced white onion and either sausage or bacon. (Feel free to experiment with other ingredient to add into the egg mixture, like green pepper or salsa.) Put into one of the soup bowls.

2. If you are in South (or don’t want to spend time at the make your own eggs bar): Mix the pre-made scrambled eggs, diced white onion, diced tomatoes and bacon (or you can slice sausage links) into one of the soup bowls.

3. Top egg mixture with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese.

4. Top with hash browns.

5. Heat in microwave for about a minute and a half, or until the cheese melts.

Peanut Butter and Banana Bagel

This is probably one you’ve heard off before, but it doesn’t make it any less tempting.

1. Toast bagel.

2. Spread with a layer of peanut butter.

3. Slice bananas on to bagel.

4. Other toppings to try: honey, apple, and raisins.

Quick Tip

One of my favorite things my mom used to make for me when I was little was cinnamon toast, and it’s pretty easy to make in the dining hall. Just toast some bread, spread butter over the toast, and sprinkle with cinnamon (you’ll probably have to wait for the days when they serve it with applesauce.) You’ll have to provide your own TLC.

Have your own dining hall recipe? We would love to feature it! E-mail mfordice@nd.edu.

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Observer Scene | Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today we have a turkey theme. Turkey is nutritious, providing things like folic acid and vitamin B, and relatively low-fat (without the skin). Each of these recipes adds a twist to the classic sandwich, putting a new spin on this frequent member of your brown bag lunch. Of course, these sandwiches provide plenty of sustenance and definitely deserve the transition to dinner. Whenever you decide to eat them, they’ll certainly be tasty.

This week’s recipes:

Turkey and Blue Cheese Sandwich

This sandwich has a good bite to it – the red wine vinegar cuts through the blue cheese and savory turkey nicely and the red onion adds a crisp spice. Remember to go for the nicer bread. It will make the sandwich that much better. 1. Pick up two slices of good wheat bread.2. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of bread. 3. Toss some spinach in red wine vinegar, oil and a touch of salt. Place on sandwich4. Place slices of red onion and turkey (don’t forget to check if they are carving turkey that day) on sandwich. 5. Crumble on blue cheese and top with the other side of bread.6. Serve with apple slices or a quick salad.

Open Faced Turkey Sandwich

This is usually a post-Thanksgiving meal, but with the dining hall’s regular serving of things like stuffing and mashed potatoes, you can have it whenever you want. It’s a fun take on a sandwich too, so smothered with gravy you need a knife and fork. Sadly, the dining hall doesn’t have cranberries that often, but you can always try to substitute a glass of cranberry juice. 1. Pick up one slice of good white bread. 2. Top with a layer of stuffing and slices of turkey (again, don’t forget to see if they are carving turkey that day). 3. Ladle gravy over the top. 4. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Quick Tip

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with traditional! You can always jazz up the basic version of a turkey sandwich with a couple of condiments. Try hot sauce, a dash of salt and a little mayo. Don’t forget the pickle!

-

-

Dining Hall Dish

Observer Scene | Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Welcome back! Yes, it’s time to put our noses to the grindstone again and carry on with the rest of the year. Soon the work is going to be piling up like the snow outside, so make sure you use your meals totake a real break from the day.

School can be stressful; it is important to take an hour for dinner, enjoy time with your friends, and take advantage of the chance to eat something tasty. Endeavor to make sure your meals aren’t just another task in the day but something you can enjoy. And as always, Dining Hall Dish is here to help.

This week’s recipes:

Double Decker Taco

This is an easy way to diversify your trip to the Mexican bar. Popularized by the ever present Taco Bell chain, double-decker tacos are a fairly successful attempt to jazz up the tried and true entree. Thanks to Charlie Vogelheim for submitting this idea.

1. Head to the Mexican bar and select a taco shell and one of the small flour tortillas.

2. Fill it up with your favorite ingredients: beef or chicken, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa and beans. If you want to make it a bit healthier, try using beans from the salad bar rather than the refried beans (though they are pretty delicious.).

3. Spread a thin layer of refried beans onto the tortilla.

4. Wrap the tortilla around the taco shell. For another twist, add cheddar cheese on top of the refried beans and tortilla. Melt it in the microwave before wrapping it around the shell.

Southwestern Chicken Salad

Some sort of southwestern salad is featured on a lot of menus in restaurants. Here’s one you can pull off in the dining hall.

Thanks to Charlie Vogelheim for inspiring this recipe and creating the dressing.

1. Fill a bowl with romaine lettuce, chicken (either use the diced chicken from the Mexican bar or shred your own from some of the grilled chicken breasts), corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, cheddar cheese and bell peppers (you may have to dice these.)

2. Select a few apple slices, dice them up, and add them to the salad.

3. For the dressing: mix one part ranch dressing with the chipotle sauce found by the Mexican bar and then drizzle in a little bit of barbeque sauce.

4. Top with either a crushed taco shell, or grill a flour tortilla in the Panini maker until it is brown and crispy and shred over the top (or serve on the side).

Quick Tip

Crave those chicken poppers but made a New Year’s resolution to eat a little healthier? Use them as a topping to a salad. You’ll get to enjoy them while getting your vegetables, plus you won’t need as many or the sauces.

Have your own dining hall recipe? We would love to feature it! E-mail Michelle Fordice at mfordice@nd.edu.