Group examines dorm relations

Same-sex dorm events were the topic of discussion at the Council of Representatives' (COR) first meeting of the semester.

Drawing from a campaign promise made by student body president Bob Reish, COR discussed ways to increase communication and friendship among students of the same gender.

"If you're not from the same dorm, contact is often awkward or forced," said Reish.

The aim of the project would be to encourage students to participate and coordinate activities with same-sex dorms.

One area of discussion was whether or not monetary funding would be offered as an incentive to participate.

Other incentives were discussed including possibly giving away points toward the Hall of the Year Award.

Money for funding would most likely come from the Student Government budget or be asked for during allocations for this specific purpose.

"The most important way of publicizing this issue will be to talk about it," said Reish, "That's definitely something we want to do."

Various COR members discussed their participation in some of the same-sex events already on campus.

Highlighted among these events was the Dillon-Alumni Big Red Dawg dance, the Keenan-Stanford Masses, and the grouping together of same-sex dorms during Frosh-O activities.

COR members stressed they were not trying to force contact between same-sex dorms, but encouraging it.

"Seeing people outside of class, just seeing them in a different setting gives you the ability to see them in a new light," said Reish.

Ideas for potential events included 5-K runs, inter-dorm masses, and dances.

The focus for these events would be more on the planning process than on the outcome, that way students would be able to work together with other students and get to know them more personally.

Reish said that if the program were to be funded, it would only be so for a short period of time, possibly no longer than two years.

In other COR news:

u Reish said the off-campus eatery discount booklets have arrived and were approved. They should be availably soon for purchase

u COR has a new appeal form that will be implemented. A few changed were made to the old form including a new event history portion.

u Reish also took the time at the end of the meeting to preview new topics that will be up for discussion during this semester's COR meetings. These included evaluating the ticket lottery process for home games, increasing student activity fees to include a spring concert, a new student orientation for students transferring in during the spring semester, and an update on the Peer Advocacy Program.