-

-

SMC Basketball: Belles edge Knights in overtime

Alex West | Thursday, January 29, 2009

It took overtime for Saint Mary’s to win the third game on its current four-game road trip. The Belles (11-7) defeated Calvin (10-7) 72-68 in the extra period.

The Belles and the Knights played close in the first half, with neither team being able to take control early. Jill Thomas for the Knights hit a 3-pointer as time expired before halftime to give Calvin a 32-31 advantage.

The contest remained close until the Belles took a seven point lead with just over four minutes to play in the game.

The Knights fought back but the Belles extended their lead to three points when senior Erin Newsom hit a free throw with just over a minute to play. It took another Thomas 3-pointer with four seconds to play to send the game into overtime.

The Belles got off to a slow start in the extra period as they fell behind by three points. But they responded and took the lead with two and half minutes to play. Belles junior forward Anna Krammrath made two free throws with four seconds to play to ice the game.

Newsom, Krammrath, and freshmen Patsy Mahoney and Kelley Murphy each scored 13 points for the Belles as their balanced offense continued to roll. Maggie Ronan added 12 points.

The Belles will finish their four game road trip Saturday against Hope College (15-1) in a game that might decide who wins the MIAA regular season title. The Belles handed Hope their only loss on Jan. 3.