-

-

SMC Basketball: Saint Mary’s travels to face winless Hornets

Alex West | Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Saint Mary’s (8-7) looks to bounce back from its first MIAA loss of the year when it plays at Kalamazoo (0-13) today.

The Belles will look to use their height inside and speed in the transition game on offense against the Hornets, who rank last in the MIAA in scoring defense and give up more than 75 points per game.

Coach Jenn Henley said the Belles will also need to play well defensively.

“We need to do a better job on defending the drive and shutting down Kalamazoo’s inside game,” Henley said. “Our focus continues to be on defense, regardless of our opponent.”

The Belles lost 77-72 to Albion last Wednesday, dropping their conference record to 6-1. Kalamazoo’s latest lost came against Albion last Saturday by a score of 68-38.

Although the Hornet’s still remain winless, Henley said she doesn’t believe her team will overlook them.

“In this league, you can’t overlook anyone. Records and standings never truly indicate the strength of a team,” she said.

She also said the Hornets’ defense could test the Belles.

“They play a lot of different defenses, so we need to be able to recognize what they are playing and execute our offense,” Henley said.

Belles leading score Erin Newsom is coming off of an 18-point effort against Albion. She averages almost 15 points and more than nine rebounds a game this season to lead the Belles in both categories.