-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thurs: The Films of Yuri Norstein: An Animator’s Journey, Browning Cinema, 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.

The Russian want-to-be painter turned award-winning animator Yuri Norstein’s film selections will play in DeBartolo’s Browning Cinema this weekend to a crowd that is sure to be entertained. Norstein has accomplished much as an animator, having studied at an art school before eventually finding work at studio Soyuzmultfilm in 1961 where he got his start in the animation industry. His unique use of multiple glass planes to give his animations a three-dimensional look and decision not to use computers to create his animations make his productions truly unique. Witness a glimpse of his masterpieces this tonight. Tickets are $6, $5 for faculty/staff, $4 for seniors and $3 for all students.

Fri: Paul Aldrich at the Morris Performing Arts Center, 7:30 p.m.

With a motto of being Pure Comedy – 100 percent clean and100 percent funny – Paul Aldrich promises to tear up audiences this weekend with his stand-up comedy and musical impressions (ranging from Jimi Hendrix to Bono to Adam Sandler). Not only does he promise to deliver humorous lines, but he also guarantees to do it with a Christian mindset. “[I] use humor and music as vehicles to touch hearts with the good news of Jesus Christ,” said Morris. His funny parody of the Beatles’ “Let It Be” entitled “Let it Be/Hillary” about Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the presidency is just a sample of the material that is sure to come Friday night.

Sat: Happy Go Lucky (2008), Browning Cinema, 3:00, 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.

Sally Hawkins’ Golden Globe winning performance, as the unnaturally cheerful Poppy in the Oscar-nominated “Happy Go Lucky,” will bring a smile to your face as you watch this quirky woman tackle the challenges life presents her with endless doses of optimism. Faced with various tests, such as the stealing of her bike (her only means of transportation), an unrequited lover’s pursuit of her and an intense sisterly feud, Poppy still manages to keep a bright outlook and refuses to let problems get her down. Take a leaf out of Poppy’s book this weekend and learn how to always have a PMA – positive mental attitude – no matter what life throws your way. Tickets are $6, $5 for faculty/staff, $4 for seniors and $3 for all students.

Sun: Thiemo Jansenn: 2008-2009 Organ Recital Series, Reyes Organ and Choral Hall, 2:30 and 5:00 p.m.

Hamburg, Germany’s very own Thiemo Janssen will be visiting the Notre Dame campus this weekend for a special performance of his Organ Recital Series. After having studied in Hanover, Lyon and Hamburg with the famous Louis Robilliard and Wolfgang Zerer, he became choirmaster and organist at St. Nikolaur Kirche in Friedrichshafen. Because of his amazing talent on the organ he has also been selected to regularly play concerts at the Basilika in Weingarten, Sanit-Germain-des-Pres in Paris and the cathedral in Brussels. Don’t miss the opportunity to be dazzled by the magic he will create Sunday afternoon on the Reyes Organ and Choral Hall’s beautiful instrument.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chicken Jackson, 10:00 p.m., Legends

Listen to Notre Dame’s very own band, Chicken Jackson, shake up the audiences with their live performance at Legend’s this Thursday night. Blending a mix of rock and jam with a touch of funk, this group will perform their original music inspired by icons such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Allman Brothers Band, Sublime and the Rolling Stones. Chris Terschluse and Nick DePrey will rock the vocals, bass and guitar, accompanied by guitarist Patrick Needham and drummer Michael Spencer. For samples of their work, visit their Facebook page “Chicken Jackson.” Take a study break Thursday night and head over to Legend’s for an energized and entertaining performance.

Baghdad High (2008), 6:30 and 9:30 pm, Browning Cinema

Thousands of miles away teenagers wake up every morning, get dressed and make their ways through high school, just like American students do. Directors Laura Winter and Ivan O’Mahoney want to show Westerners that their age-equivalents living in Baghdad really is not that different, giving four Iraqi high school seniors video cameras to document their lives for a year. This completely different and new perspective on life in Iraq will show audiences what it is like to be a teenager in a world ravaged by uncertainty and discontent, and how Iraqis still hold on to their faith that a better tomorrow will come. This is a free, but ticketed event. Please call the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center Ticket Office at 574-631-2800 to reserve tickets.

Tim Robbins’ The Actors’ Gang presents 1984, 2:00 and 7:30 p.m., Decio Mainstage Theatre

“Big Brother is Watching You.” The haunting reality that characters in George Orwell’s “1984” face is one in which their every move, word and decision is monitored by an ever-present government that refuses to allow dissidence. Oscar-Award-winning actor Tim Robbins directs an adaptation of this story for the Decio Mainstage Theatre this weekend in a thought-provoking performance that will force audiences to examine the government’s role in their own lives. Using the interrogation of the rebellious protagonist Winston as the center of the plotline, Robbins unfolds the rest of the drama with the authority figure’s questions, which force Winston to travel through his memory and recall significant details from his past.

Citizen Kane, 3:00 p.m., Browning Cinema

This 1941 classic utilizes multiple flashbacks and newsreel clips to expose the life of Charles Foster Kane (a character whose story seems to parallel the real-life William Randolph Hearst), a millionaire newspaper mogul who passed away but left reporters stupefied when he cryptically spoke his last word, “Rosebud.” As the search to discover the meaning of these words continues, more details come to surface revealing who the real Charles Kane was and how the rise of his power and fortune inversely affected the fall of his happiness. Orson Welles poured his heart and soul into the creation of this piece serving as its director, star and producer and the release of this piece met much due praise for its profound storyline and the secrets it reveals about human nature.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thursday: Let the Right One in (2008), 6:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

If you are a fan of “Twilight,” this movie might just be the thing to satisfy your craving for another vampire-human love story. Edward Cullen. In this film,12-year-old Oskar is the victim of incessant bullying from his intimidating and condescending peers, but that all changes once he befriends fellow 12-year-old Eli who has been stuck as a pre-teen for many more years than normal. With the arrival of Eli also comes the arrival of suspicious disappearances and gruesome murders, an indicator of what might come when she eventually steps up to defend Oskar. Be prepared to find yourself on an emotional rollercoaster as you contemplate the complex friendship these two children have formed and the decisions they make as they figure out life’s difficulties and their own blossoming love.

Tickets are $6, $5 faculty/staff and $3 for all students.

Friday: Body of Lies, 8:00 and 10:30 p.m., 101 Debartolo

Looking for a fast pace thriller with twists and turns? Check out the latest film by award winning director Ridley Scott (Gladiator, American Gangster, Black Hawk Down), “Body of Lies.” The film pits CIA operative Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) against his handler Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe) when Hoffman goes behind Ferris’ back on a counter-terrorist operation in Jordan nearly getting Ferris killed and straining the operative’s relationship with the head of the Jordanian General Intelligence Department, Hani Salaam (Mark Strong). Things get tense when Ferris falls in love with a Jordanian hospital nurse, Aisha (Golshifteh Farahani), and she is kidnapped. Tickets are $3.

Saturday: Synecdoche, New York (2008), 6:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

Philip Seymour Hoffman, a chameleon of sorts whose recent roles have ranged from a blunt case officer and division chief for the CIA in “Charlie Wilson’s War” to a possibly homosexual priest in “Doubt,” steals the show as a theater director in “Synecdoche, New York.” The movie’s title plays with words by rhyming with the location of the movie, Schenectady, New York. Director, Caden Cotard (Hoffman) runs into a midlife crisis when his wife leaves him, his relationship with a new interest falls apart and his health deteriorates. To move past these negative barriers he changes location and pours his soul into the production of his theater masterpiece. Audiences will want to both laugh and cry in this tragicomedy that tails the life of a man dealing with the everyday battles of life.

Sunday: Sherlock Holmes the Final Adventure, 3:00 p.m., Elkhart Civic Theatre

A performance full of danger, humor and a good dose of surprise that will keep audiences intrigued as they follow the story of the famous fictional detective Sherlock Holmes’s final adventure. When the King of Bohemia is about to be blackmailed by the famous opera singer Irene Adler, Holmes and his trusty sidekick Doctor Watson jump into the mix solving crimes and simultaneously trying to win hearts as they get mixed up in this mess of a case. Explore, discover and laugh with these two well-loved characters at the Elkhart Civic Theatre this weekend in an adaptation that promises nothing less than a good dose of quality entertainment.

Tickets are $13 for adults and $11 for students and seniors.