Architecture School receives top-10 ranking

Irena Zajickova | Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Notre Dame’s School of Architecture recently received some good news in the form of a top-10 ranking in the annual America’s Best Architecture Schools survey.

The survey is conducted every year by the Design Futures Council and has consistently given Notre Dame’s architecture program a high ranking. Last year, the program was ranked 12th, while Cornell University occupied the 10th-place spot. The highest rating Notre Dame has ever received in the survey was ninth place.

Michael Lykoudis, the dean of Notre Dame’s School of Architecture, said he and his colleagues are satisfied with the high rating, as well as the high rankings of past years.

“We’ve been ranked in that area for some time now,” Lykoudis said. “Tenth place is an improvement over last year, which was an improvement over the previous year, and so on. So, certainly we’re pleased.”

Lykoudis said the survey’s rankings are determined based on which colleges’ students are preferred by top architecture firms looking to recruit employees for their company. Therefore, Notre Dame’s high place on the list means that architecture students at the University are wanted more for jobs after they graduate than students at many other schools.

Lykoudis said the high ranking reflects well on all aspects of Notre Dame’s School of Architecture.

“It’s a combination of factors,” Lykoudis said. ” We have good students, so the admissions process is working well. We have dedicated faculty and our curriculum is unique.”

Lykoudis also cited the year that architecture students spend studying abroad in Rome as a contributing factor to Notre Dane’s high ranking in the survey. The year in Rome provides students with knowledge about the historical aspect of architecture.

“The year in Rome teaches students to set their aspirations pretty high,” Lykoudis said. Not only are they competing with their fellow students and students from other schools, they are competing with all of history.”

When asked if he had any ideas on how to push Notre Dame’s ranking even higher in next year’s survey, Lykoudis said that receiving a favorable ranking in the survey is not the School of Architecture’s primary goal.

“Rankings are not our objective,” Lykoudis said. “Students’ impact in the world is our objective. We want our students to have an impact on the world. If the rankings reflect that, it’s great. But we’re not chasing rankings.”