Boss goes wrong

Letter to the Editor | Monday, February 2, 2009

Back in 2004, fans witnessed what they would have considered the most offensive Super Bowl halftime show of all time. But now, Bruce Springsteen has tainted the Super Bowl halftime show yet again to a greater extent than Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake ever could have planned…err, experienced. Even though the Boss’s wardrobe was functioning perfectly fine, he could easily be accused of gratuitous “crotching” which was much more graphic than necessary for the Super Bowl halftime show. What is supposed to be a show that one can watch with the family turned into a disgustingly offending pole dance of sorts in which Bruce Springsteen made numerous lewd gestures unbefitting a renowned star who supposedly has class. He is providing an awful role model to other singers and performers, but more importantly, senior citizens. To whom are our seniors to turn when trying to relate to the younger generation? Because Bruce certainly showed them what not to do. He most aptly demonstrated his shameful behavior while singing “10th Avenue Freeze Out” into the camera … with his crotch. I propose that those in charge of the Super Bowl halftime show make sweeping reforms to make the show more family friendly. In future years I hope to see Disney take over the halftime show as they like no other know what is best for the nation. We should look to seeing much more family-oriented halftime shows such as those starring the Jonas Brothers, Wiggles, or even Hannah Montana (hopefully she still won’t be dating someone, who in some states could be accused of statutory). One can only hope that Bridgestone will revise the halftime show next year to provide more positive role models.

Brian Conway

St. Ed’s

Feb. 2