Business Prof. Vecchio dies at 58

Notre Dame management professor and former chair of the management department Robert P. Vecchio died Monday. He was 58.

Vecchio sustained serious injuries after falling from the rooftop of his home Saturday. He was treated at Memorial Hospital in South Bend.

Vecchio, a well-known professor, had been a member of the Mendoza College of Business faculty since 1976.

"Bob had an early and formative leadership role in the college," Carolyn Woo, dean of the Mendoza College of Business, said in a University press release.

"He provided the foundation for the management department to attain the reputation it enjoys today," she said. "Our hearts and our prayers are with the family to which he was so devoted."

Other representatives from the Mendoza College of Business were not available for comment Tuesday evening.

According to a report Sunday by the South Bend Tribune, Vecchio fell from a height of at least 10 feet Saturday morning at his Granger home.

Vecchio was last reported to be in critical condition Sunday night at Memorial Hospital, according to the Tribune report.

According to the press release, Vecchio taught popular courses and published highly regarded articles on a variety of issues in organizational behavior and corporate management, especially emphasizing leadership, motivation, workplace emotion and employee envy.

Vecchio taught the courses "Management Competencies" and "Leadership and Motivation" in the fall semester, according to records available online.

He was the author of several books, and was also the editor of the Journal of Management from 1995 to 2000.

Vecchio received a B.S. from DePaul University in 1972 and a Master's and a Ph.D from the University of Illinois in 1972 and 1976, respectively.

Arrangements are pending, according to the press release.