Center joins "Quest" to raise funds for hospital

Donating cents makes sense, according to Jeanie Martz, Program Manager in Employer Relations at the Career Center.

The Career Center has decided to take part in local country radio station B100's "Quest for a Million Pennies," in conjunction with the nation-wide "Country Cares for St. Jude Kids" Radiothon, Martz said.

"We're all blessed with healthy kids, but there are sick children," Martz said.

The "Quest for a Million Pennies" is meant to help these sick children at St. Jude's Hospital, Martz said. Members of the community outreach team at the Career Center heard about the program and decided to get involved.

The "Quest for a Million Pennies" began in January, according to Martz, but the Career Center didn't get involved until Feb. 4. The last day to donate is March 6.

"We have collection jugs on the first floor outside of the Interview Center and in the lobby of the Career Center on the second floor of Flanner Hall," Martz said.

Café de Grasta, on the first floor of Grace Hall, has also partnered with the Career Center with collection jugs, according to Anita Rees, Associate Director of the College of Arts and Letters department at the Career Center.

One of Notre Dame's residence halls has gotten involved as well, Martz said.

"Cavanaugh Hall is participating by holding a section competition to see which section will raise the most pennies," Martz said.

Caitlyn Dix is running the competition, Martz said.

The five-gallon jugs were donated by Hawkins Water Tech, Inc., a water treatment facility in Middlebury, Ind., and hold roughly 70,000 coins, or $700 in pennies, Martz said.

According to B100's Web site, anyone can participate, and get a collection jug from the station's studio. The last chance to turn in jugs is March 7.

The beauty of this fundraiser is that it doesn't require much effort, Martz said.

"Just tossing a few coins into a jug is giving back," Rees said.

However, any amount, and any denomination, can be donated.

"Pennies are the foundation of this fundraiser, however I heard a rumor that silver is the new copper and we will definitely take any loose change," Martz said. "Oh, and any other cash... We will turn no coin or bill away."

This is an easy project to get involved with, Martz said.

"The simple act of tossing a few cents into one of the collection jugs will help reach the goal of a million pennies," said Martz. "We want to see B100 successfully raise one million pennies for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee."

Danny Thomas founded St. Jude Children's Hospital in 1962, Martz said.

"Danny Thomas' dream was for the cure for cancer to be found in his lifetime. Now, that didn't happen, but wouldn't it be great if it happened in ours?" said Martz.