Choir plans tour of Midwest, Canada

Megan Loney | Monday, February 23, 2009

The Saint Mary’s College Women’s choir will tour March 9-15 in the Midwest and Canada, continuing the tradition that has continued every other year for the past 25 years

The choir will perform in Fort Wayne, Ind.; Toledo, Ohio; Ann Arbor, Detroit and Bloomfield Hills, Mich.; and Guelph and Toronto, Ontario in Canada.

In preparation for the tour, the Women’s Choir members have been diligently practicing four hours per week, said Choir Director Nancy Menk. Their dedication to this tour is not just based on a desire to present an aesthetic experience for audiences; this tour has significant purposes, Menk said.

“One purpose of this tour is to promote Saint Mary’s College and, in particular, the Music Department and the Women’s Choir to prospective students, alumnae, and the general public,” Menk said.

The tour also benefits the choral program at Saint Mary’s College through promotion of their music.

“This tour will promote quality choral singing, especially music for women’s voices, including the new pieces in our choral series,” Menk said. “It will promote the quality of our choral program and make our CDs available to our audiences.”

During this tour, the Women’s Choir will perform in conjunction with other university, high school, and community treble choirs. The choirs who will be performing with the Women’s Choir are the Fort Wayne Children’s Choir at First Wayne Street United Methodist Church, the Ann Arbor Youth Chorale and Huron High School Bel Canto at Bethlehem United Church of Christ, and the University of Guelph and the University of Toronto Women’s Choirs at Harcourt Memorial United Church.

The choir will conclude the tour with a homecoming concert March 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the Church of Our Lady of Loretto on campus.

Ultimately, the tour is a developmental experience for the girls participating.

“This tour is meant to build musicality and rapport among the members of the Choir and to strengthen our performing abilities and to have fun while making great music together,” Menk said. “The Choir always improves immensely by the end of the tour.”