-

-

Class council election results released

Aaron Steiner | Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The senior class council and sophomore class council election results were announced Monday evening at 9 p.m., with a clear winner in the sophomore race and a run-off election result in the senior class council race.

Judicial Council Marcello Perez, vice president of the Judicial Council Elections Committee, announced the results of these two races after voting was held Monday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. online.

Senior class council

The three-way race for the senior class council resulted in a run-off election scheduled for Thursday. With 1,046 current juniors voting, the tickets led by Chris Tillett and Kim Kyrouac garnered 42.4 percent and 31.7 percent of the votes respectively. Because neither ticket received more than 50 percent of the votes, a run-off election will be held Thursday.

The ticket of Christina Harmon, Arthur Kinsey, Jessica Bell and Kim Hamill received 166 votes, amounting to 15.8 percent of the vote. Tillett and his running mates Joy Hwang, Matt Molloy and Ellie Trousdale received 444 votes, and Kyrouac and running mates Jeff Lakusta, Jordan Schank and Kathleen Donahue received 332 votes. One-hundred four juniors, or nearly 10 percent, voted to abstain.

Kyrouac, the current junior class president, said she was not surprised by the run-off result.

“Especially with three tickets, we knew it was going to be competitive,” she said.

Both tickets were pleased with the high turnout.

“We were happy to see that people got out there an voted for us, but obviously the election’s not over yet,” Tillett said.

Tillett said he needs to convince juniors that their ticket is the best for the class.

“The reason we decided to run and what we felt was that this year’s junior class council kind of dropped the ball a little bit,” Tillett said.

“We wanted to make sure that our senior year was as best as it could be so we decided to step up and make sure that happens.”

Kyrouac said her ticket has the know-how to make the most of the opportunity to serve as class leaders.

“With our combined experience, new ideas, and dedication to serve our class we hope our ticket will come out on top,” she said.

The run-off election will take place Thursday in the same manner as Monday’s election. Students will be instructed via e-mail to vote online between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Sophomore class council

Catherine Soler and her running mates Jay Kenney, Ben German and Shannon Crotty won the race for sophomore class council with 55.5 percent, amounting to 609 votes of the 1096 cast in the election.

The other two tickets in the race had 37.5 percent of the vote between them. The C.J. Kelly, Courtney Vargas, Katie Kelliher and Nick Schmidt ticket earned 263 votes, or 23.9 percent, and the Lauren Ruhling, Jay Mathes, Laura Philip and Carl Brophy ticket got 148 votes, or 13.5 percent.

Soler, currently a member of freshman class council, responded to concerns raised by competing tickets that the current freshman class council is a “clique.”

“The clique is really a misconception,” she said. “It’s by now means exclusive or anything like that.”

“One of our main goals is to increase the diversity on the council and hope that all who are interested in class council feel encouraged to apply,” she said.

Soler said she was “happy” with the results.

“We are looking forward to following out the ideas on our platform,” she said.

-

-

Class council election results released

Four separate allegations of election violations were brought against the two tickets running for junior class council, Marcelo Perez, vice president of the Judicial Council Elections Committee, announced after a one-and-a-half hour meeting of the Executive Committee of Judicial Council ended at 1 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Neither ticket was disqualified, and a run-off election will take place Thursday because neither ticket garnered more than 50 percent of the vote necessary to claim a majority.

Both tickets were accused of the same violation, according to Perez, but neither was found guilty of that particular violation.

The ticket of Kevin Kimberly, Alexa Doyle, Dylan Fernandez and Rachel Roseberry had two additional allegations brought against them, and was found guilty of both violations, Perez said.

The allegations caused two special sessions of the Executive Committee of Judicial Council, one at 7 a.m. Monday, and another at 11:30 p.m. Monday.

Of the 1292 votes cast in the race, 120 voted to abstain, 511 voted for the ticket led by Kimberly, and 611 voted for the Caitlin Pulte, Henry Shine, Luke Stavole and Tim Castellini ticket.

The Pulte ticket received 47.3 percent of the vote, and the Kimberly ticket received 39.5 percent of the vote. The remaining votes were cast to abstain.

Perez said because the Kimberly ticket was found guilty of two election violations, the Executive Committee delivered a sanction against the ticket. Kimberly and his running mates will not be allowed to spend any remaining campaign money between now and the run-off. All tickets are restricted to spending $75, which is provided for the election.

Perez said the sanction also included restriction of additional campaigning to word of mouth and the social networking Web site Facebook.com, where the ticket has a group page titled “Kimberly-Doyle-Roseberry-Fernandez for Junior Class Council.”

Perez said the ticket would not be allowed to use any other methods of online campaigning. Existing posters can remain posted, he said.

Perez told The Observer he was not aware if the ticket had funds leftover.

Perez said he could not reveal the nature of any of the violations or allegations, nor could he reveal who brought the allegations, according to guidelines set forth in the Student Constitution.

Additionally, Judicial Council president George Chamberlain said the information couldn’t be released in order to protect the candidates.

“It’s important that we protect the integrity of the candidates,” he said. Revealing the nature of the violations or allegations could further damage the campaigns, he added.

The tickets were e-mailed of the decisions of the Executive Committee shortly after 1 a.m. The results of the election – which were sealed until the allegations were resolved – were then unsealed.

Perez e-mailed the results of the election to the tickets around 1:30 a.m. and notified them that the run-off would take place Thursday.

The run-off election will take place Thursday online from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Students will be notified of election procedures via e-mail.