Fans celebrate Super Bowl XLIII

As the 43rd Super Bowl began, North Dining Hall was filled with Pittsburgh fans wearing Steelers gear and Arizona fans wearing Cardinals gear.

But Steelers fans clearly outnumbered Cardinals fans.

"You don't deserve fans unless you win," freshman Sarah Dzurik said.

The Steelers did win, with a final score of 27-23 in the match-up that took place in Tampa, Fla.

But not everyone was happy with the results.

"I'm not rooting for the Cardinals," freshman Matthew Steed said. "I'm rooting against the Steelers. I have been since the playoffs."

"We're not for the Cardinals," said two Cowboys fans, "we're just against [Steelers fans]."

Super Bowl parties began all around campus at about 6 p.m. Students rushed to The Huddle in LaFortune to grab last-minute snacks, quickly purchasing chips and salsa and liters of soda.

In dorm rooms, lounges, hall basements and off-campus apartments, fans and non-fans watched the Cardinals' Kurt Warner take on the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger.

Steelers fans were quickly sent on an emotional roller coaster when their team's first touchdown was overturned by a coach's challenge. Fans had to settle for a field goal instead, and they were not too happy.

"I wish we started off with a bigger lead," senior Emily Toates said. "It would have made the rest of the game a little less unnerving."

The second quarter had Pittsburgh fans jumping up and down when linebacker James Harrison intercepted a pass at the zero yard line for a 100 yard return for a touchdown with only 18 seconds left on the clock.

"Give that man some oxygen!" students chanted.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band performed the halftime show, but many students had to miss it to catch up on homework.

"I'm happy the Steelers are winning," senior Jeff Tisak said. "But it's sad that everyone had to grab homework at halftime."

When the second half began, however, students put aside their books for another round of excitement. The third quarter was nothing more than a slight confidence boost for the Steelers, but during the fourth quarter students were given a nail-biting finale.

"The Cardinals put up a good fight," Dzurik said. "But I think the Steelers deserved to win."