-

-

Juniors welcome parents for JPW

Emma Driscoll | Friday, February 20, 2009

The annual Junior Parents Weekend (JPW) kicks off today as parents flock to campus to experience a slice of Notre Dame life.

About 4,000 people are expected to participate in JPW this weekend, 1,200 of which are students, according to Erin Hendricks, JPW 2009 chairperson.

The first event for juniors and parents is the opening gala taking place at 9 p.m. tonight, JPW 2009 chairperson Erin Hendricks said. The gala will be held in the Joyce Center and will offer hors d’oeuvres, dancing, a cash bar and photography, she said.

University President Fr. John Jenkins will preside at a mass for juniors and their parents on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. in the Joyce Center Arena, Hendricks said. Father Mark Poorman will deliver the homily.

After the mass, the President’s Dinner for juniors and their parents will take place in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse. President Emeritus Fr. Edward Malloy will deliver the Invocation and Jenkins will give the President’s Address, Hendricks said. Junior class president Kim Kyrouac will give the junior class address.

A closing brunch will take place at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse. Lou Holtz will be the guest speaker, Hendricks said. Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C. will deliver the Invocation and President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh, C.S.C. will give the Benediction..

The JPW committee has added something new to the events this year.

“We’ve also added a Rosary Service at the Grotto this year,” Hendricks said.

On Saturday, workshops and receptions will take place in the different colleges to give parents a chance to meet professors, Hendricks said.

“I know that the College of Science is doing interactive labs and [parents] can see the facilities and such,” Hendricks said.

Additionally, each hall will host a luncheon on Saturday for juniors and parents on Saturday, Hendricks said.

Parents can enjoy some entertainment from Harmonia, The Undertones and Unchained Melodies in the Hospitality Room of LaFortune on Saturday from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Hendricks said.

The Student Union Board [SUB] has also planned entertainment for students and parents during the weekend.

Second City, the Chicago-based improv comedy group, will perform in Washington Hall at 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. tonight, SUB Manager Pat Gartland said. Students and parents can purchase tickets and attend.