Men's Tennis: Irish earn sweep of Duke, Toledo

The No. 25 Irish put on a dominating performance over the weekend, defeating No. 36 Duke and Toledo by scores of 5-2 and 7-0, respectively.

Notre Dame's No. 37 doubles team of senior Brett Helgeson, and sophomore Tyler Davis were able to defeat the No. 38 team of Kiril Dimitrov and Alvain Michel of Duke by a score of 8-4.

Sophomore Stephen Havens and freshman Casey Watt teamed up at No. 2 doubles to defeat Dylan Arnould and Reid Carleton by a score of 8-2.

Irish Freshman Niall Fitzgerald and sophomore Matt Johnson were not able to pull out their No. 3 doubles match losing by a final score of 8-5 to David Holland and Torsten Wietoska.

"Our freshmen are very talented," head coach Bobby Bayliss said. "Casey Watt and Niall Fitzgerald are tremendous shot makers. Each has the skills that rank up there with some of the best players to play here."

No. 20 Helgeson was able to knock off No. 25 Carleton, in three sets by a score of 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-6).

Havens played a close match with No. 45 Dimitrov at No. 2 singles falling in three sets by the score of 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.

No. 112 sophomore Dan Stahl was able to pull out a win for the Irish at three singles over Arnould, in straight sets.

Watt was able to earn another victory over Jared Pinsky only dropping eight games. Fitzgerald did not fair as well in singles falling to Wietoska by a score of 6-1, 6-2, while Sam Keeton maintained his perfect singles record this season defeating Holland 6-3, 6-2.

"Sam has been great so far, but this is not unexpected," Bayliss said. "He has the ability to take the ball early and take away his opponent's time, so that has made him difficult for teams to prepare for."

After a little bit of rest the Irish turned around and faced Toledo in the nightcap.

Again the Irish were led by their top doubles duo of Helgeson and Davis, who defeated Jared Miller and Nulth Liktikumchorn by a score of 8-0.

Notre Dame sophomores David Anderson and Sean Tan competed at No. 3 doubles against the Rockets, losing 8-6 to Aleksander Elezovic and Levi Bent-Lee by a score of 8-6.

At No. 2 doubles, Havens and Watt again teamed up to defeat their opponents by a score of 8-5.

Havens came away easily with a win at No. 2 singles over Sven Burus by a score of 6-2, 6-0.

Davis was able to also earn a victory over Bent-Lee by a final score of 6-3, 6-4, while Anderson won 6-1, 6-2 over Jayson Miller.

Helgeson was the next singles match to finish, as he defeated Jared Miller 6-4, 6-2 at one singles. Casey Watt continued his good day earning a win at No. 3 singles over Liktikumchorn 7-6, 6-2.

"Toledo has done well in the MAC the last few years," Bayliss said. "One thing we can count on is that we have great depth."

Fitzgerald was able to pull out a three set win by a score of 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 over Elezovic to clinch the sweep.

The Irish will next travel to Michigan State on Valentine's Day, Feb. 14. First serve is set for 12 p.m.