ND Women's Lacrosse: ND starts season with blowout win

No. 11 Notre Dame started its season off with a bang this weekend, defeating Duquesne 22-7 in the Irish season opener.

Ten different Notre Dame players found the net in the blowout win over the Dukes.

"I thought the game went great," Notre Dame assistant coach Meredith Simon said. "We were really happy with how our team worked and how they came out right from the start."

The Irish set a school record with 49 total shots on goal, 24 in the first half and 25 in the second. The Dukes managed only 18.

Leading the Irish were junior attacker Gina Scioscia and sophomore midfielder Shaylyn Blaney, a preseason all-Big East team selection. Scioscia came out with seven points from her four goals and three assists. Blaney finished with four goals, including the first goal of the game 1:51 into play.

Notre Dame extended their lead to 3-0 less than six minutes into the game with goals from sophomore midfielders Jackie Doherty and Kailene Abt.

Duquesne netted their first goal 7:10 into the half, but the momentum would be short lived. The Irish scoring drive continued with five straight goals, putting them 8-1 with little over twelve minutes to go in the half. Scioscia and Blaney each had two more goals, and a pair from team captain Jillian Byers put Notre Dame 14-5 over Duquesne at halftime.

The Dukes were unable to stop the Irish as they continued their scoring run in the second half, netting another seven consecutive goals. Blaney again opened the scoring for the half, 3:26 in.

Duquesne replied with two back-to-back goals at 23:18 and 26:09 into the half, but weren't able to close in on Notre Dame's lead. Byers netted her third goal of the game 26:31 into the half to end the game's scoring and round out the Irish victory to 22-7.

Other Notre Dame players contributing goals to the Irish victory were Ansley Stewart with three goals and an assist, Kaitlin Keena, Maggie Tamasitis, Meredith Locasto and Shannon Burke, also a preseason all-Big East team selection.

"They played well, they played united. They moved the ball well, created a lot of fast break goals, which we were looking to do and we came out strong," Simon said.

Duquense's Meghan Frederick led the Dukes' scoring with three goals and an assist, followed by Katie Rekart, Shannon Hadaway, Sarah Carson and Ashley Wood, who each scored one goal.

Notre Dame opens home play Feb. 20 as they take on the four-time defending national champion Northwestern at 7 p.m. in the Loftus Center.