School of gossip

Somewhere along the way I actually learned the lesson we have all heard before: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And yet, we live in the age of JuicyCampus, or CollegeACB or whatever. And of letters of attack on one another in the form of letters to the editor. And of rumors.

I could write about the moral fiber I thought this university was made of, how its students would rise above these actions, how it breaks my heart to see bad things happen to good people. I could write about the sinful nature of slander (Lev. 19:16). Whatever works for you. Here's what has seemed to resonate among all people I have known, Domers, Catholics, agnostics, whatever.

Next time you have some awful thing to say about a person, without knowing them truly and deeply, think about that person hearing or reading those words. See that person huddled into a corner of his or her loft, crying. See that person holding the rope with which they plan on using to commit suicide. Because, that dramatic or not, do you want to risk your words being the ones that pushed that person over the edge? So be nice to one another. Or at least be neutral. Think about where you heard things before you tell your roommate, best friend, and the kid who sits next to the kid who sits next to you.

Kyle Rocca

senior

off campus

Feb. 23