-

-

SMC Basketball: Belles win last game of season

Alex West | Monday, February 23, 2009

Saint Mary’s (15-9) finished a record-setting regular season Saturday afternoon with a 77-47 victory over winless Kalamazoo (0-23) at the Angela Athletic Facility.

The Belles dominated Kalamazoo from start to finish, opening up a 12-2 lead early in the first half. Kalamazoo could not cut the Belles’ lead to more than nine for the rest of the game, and the Belles led 39-23 at halftime.

In the second half, the Belles continued to pour it on, led by freshman Kelly Murphy’s 14 points off the bench.

Freshman Jessica Centa added 12 points of her own while senior Erin Newsom and junior Anna Kammrath contributed 10 points each. Newsom also finished with nine rebounds.

The Belles defense held Kalamazoo to just 25 percent shooting.

Nyemade Cooper had a game-high 15 points for the Hornets.

Up next for the Belles is the first round of the MIAA playoffs against Adrian. The Belles defeated Adrian two times during the regular season.

This season, the Belles broke the school records of 11 conference victories and 14 overall victories. The Belles also were in control of the MIAA for most of the season after a victory on Jan. 3 over then No. 1 Hope College. The Belles remained undefeated in conference play until a Jan. 14 loss to Albion that brought them back into a tie with Hope. A loss to Hope on Jan. 31 dropped the Belles out of first place in the MIAA to second, where they have remained.

Another notable accomplishment for the Belles this season came when seniors Nicole Beier and Newsom were named MIAA player of the week on consecutive weeks for the third and fourth weeks of the season.

The Belles take on Adrian at the Angela Athletic Facility Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.