SMC?student VP revises constitution

Saint Mary's student body vice president Sarah Falvey has been working on revising the Student Government Constitution since the fall and announced that her team has completed one draft at Monday night's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting. The Constitution will be presented to BOG once the revisions are complete.

Falvey and student body president Mickey Gruscinski are also in the first steps of extending the operating hours of the Student Center. They are looking at the Student Center hours at other, similar-sized colleges, Gruscinski said.

"Looking up what other colleges have for Student Center hours, most are opened just as late as us if not later," she said.

Currently, the Student Center is open until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and midnight on Friday and Saturday.

Residence Hall Association president Maura Clougherty announced that Saint Mary's hosted the Indiana Residence Hall Organization Conference (IRHOC) over the weekend. This year's conference was the largest ever.

Senior Katie McInerney won the IRHOC Directorship award, and Clougherty and McInerney won a four-year service plan award, she announced.

Kathy Chlebda, a member of the Class of 2011, won the first-year experience award.

Chlebda was diagnosed with lymphoma in August 2006 and relapsed in January 2008. She took a leave of absence from the College after her first semester in Fall 2007.

Her story was documented by junior Taylor Flaherty.

"We are excited for Taylor and especially for Kathy and we are excited to share this with her," Clougherty said.

In other BOG news:

uStudent Activities Board (SAB) coordinator Michele Peterson said SAB will be going to the National Association for Campus Activities this weekend. They'll be previewing new comedians, musicians and entertainers to possibly bring to Saint Mary's.

uElections commissioner Francesa Johnson said that Student Body President and Vice president platforms have been turned in and a Meet the Candidates even will take place this Wednesday and 6 p.m. in the West Wing of the Noble Family Dining Hall.

uSophomore Parents weekend starts this Friday night with a silent auction from 5-7 p.m., sophomore class president Meg Griffin said. Saturday there will be Bingo during the day, a Mass at 4 p.m. and dinner the Waterford Estates Lodge at 7 p.m.

uFreshman class president Nicole Gans announced that the Class of 2012 will have a their freshman dance at the Hilton Garden Inn on April 18.