SongsSingles' Awareness Day

Valentine's Day is upon us, and with it dutifully comes Singles Awareness Day, a day dedicated to the broken-up, lonely or decidedly single. But this is no day for bemoaning singularity, because beneath the façade of solitude comes a never-ending stream of music to perfect the mood. For every love song there are about 15 anti-love songs. And on Valentine's Day, we singles celebrate them all.Here are a few songs to make you get up and sing, celebrating the freedom of being out of a relationship. Whether you instigated the break up or were left speechless when it happened, there are millions of tunes ready to pick up where your significant other left off. At the top of this list is, of course, "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. Nothing really beats opening your windows and blasting it, singing along at the top of your lungs. Male or female, this song is the ultimate catharsis. "Thanks to you, now I get what I want!" In the vein of post-break up pop-stars, who can resist Pink's hit "So What"? "So what! I'm still a rock star! I got my rock moves and I don't need you!" Three Days Grace really captured the feeling of a failing relationship with "I Hate Everything About You." Linkin Park has the market cornered on angsty anti-relationship riffs with songs like "In the End" and "Numb." The queen-bee of angry chick rock, Alanis Morrisette, established the biting break up song with "You Oughta Know." "I'm here to remind you of the mess you left when you went away." Rounding this section out is the staple from Destiny's Child, "Survivor." "Now I got you out of my life, I'm so much better. You thought that I'd be weaker without you, but I'm stronger." Then of course come the songs about thriving in the single light. The most recent hit here would have to be "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by Beyonce. Good Charlotte provides an anti-love song at the ready with "I Don't Wanna Be in Love." Another rock-out song is "It's My Life" by the Charlie-approved Bon Jovi. You can kick it old style with Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way."The true oldies-but-goodies include "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor and "Respect" by Aretha Franklin. Honorable mention must also go to Cher's "Strong Enough" and "Song For the Lonely." Nothing quite beats jumping around and singing along to "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes. "Owner of a lonely heart, much better than an owner of a broken heart." No matter who you are or where you are, these songs contain the essence of what it means to be single and proud of it.Valentine's Day doesn't have to be a day for looking around at all the love in the world you don't have, but a day to remember the inner strength that comes from forging your own path, and looking at the world fearlessly. Being single is as old as humanity, and as long as we've been around people have been singing about it.But there's really only one song that captures the true meaning of Valentine's Day: "Song for the Dumped" by Ben Folds.