Sophomores to host parents over weekend

Sophomore Parents' Weekend, a time for parents to participate in activities with their daughters, kicks off at Saint Mary's College today.

Sophomore Rachel Flaherty said she is looking forward to spending time with her family.

"I am very excited for Sophomore Parent's Weekend because it allows my parents to come to Saint Mary's College and see the places that I spend my time at away from home," Flaherty said.

For Katie Brown, the weekend will be an opportunity for her to see her parents outside of breaks.

"My mom hasn't been on campus since move in at the beginning of the year, so I am excited for her to see everything again," Brown said.

The weekend contains many different events planned to help students bond with their parents while at school. On Friday, there will be a silent auction. Parents and students are invited to take part in bingo, a special Mass and a dinner on Saturday.

Meg Griffin, the president of the class of 2011, oversaw the planning of this event.

"Sophomore Parents' weekend is the first in a series of weekends designed to allow girls to show off their campus and college experience to their parents," Griffin said. "This is a great opportunity for parents to see where their daughters live and work, and who they interact with on a daily basis."

About 350 students and parents will be attending the weekend.

"The purpose of this weekend is to create a bonding experience with parents and daughters and celebrate their daughter's education," Griffin said.

"I wanted my parents to come to this weekend so that they could spend time with me at my home away from home, and also so we could have fun doing things we wouldn't normally get to do," Flaherty said.