Team raises money for cancer research

Madeline Buckley | Monday, February 9, 2009

The Notre Dame Women’s basketball team abandoned its normal uniforms in favor of pink jerseys during Sunday’s game against DePaul University, helping to raise about $38,000 for breast cancer research, according to sophomore Brittany Mallory, a sophomore guard on the team.

The money was raised as part of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s Pink Zone project, which enlists women’s basketball teams around the country to designate one game to be the Pink Zone game in order to raise money and awareness.

About 1,200 other schools are involved in the project, Mallory said. These schools each hold their Pink Zone game on a different day to benefit the cause.

“We want to raise money for breast cancer research and make people more aware,” she said. “We basically want to get the message across.”

Mallory said a silent auction took place before the game to raise funds, and doctors and members of breast cancer support organizations spoke during timeouts and handed out pamphlets before the game to raise awareness.

Breast cancer survivors spoke during halftime, Mallory said.

Along with the basketball players, many fans also donned pink outfits, and the first 2,000 fans to arrive at the game received pink T-shirts, she said.

“We had a lot of pink going on,” Mallory said. “We had pink jerseys, pink shoelaces and a pink hair extension in our hair.”

Mallory said 25 percent of the money raised during Sunday’s game will go to the Kay Yow cancer fund, which honors the North Carolina State women’s basketball coach who died of breast cancer in January.

The remaining funds raised will go to the local women’s health organization, Women’s Task Force, she said.

If the Pink Zone game had sold out, the team was going to donate an extra $10,000 to the cause, Mallory said. The game did not sell out, but the project mustered a large crowd, she said.

“There was a good amount of people at the game, so we gave an extra $5,000 to the fund,” Mallory said.

Mallory said she was also part of a management class last semester that had the students publicize the Pink Zone game as a part of a class project.

“[The class] designed the T-shirt we gave out today,” she said. “We also called doctors and St. Joseph hospital to come and give out pamphlets for breast cancer.”

Mallory said she believes the Pink Zone game achieved its purpose.

“I think it was very successful, and I think a lot of people got the message. We raised a lot of money which was our main goal,” she said. “We were happy about that.”