-

-

Thanks for Bouts

Letter to the Editor | Sunday, February 22, 2009

This letter is intended for all of those involved in my 2009 Bengal Bouts journey. Thank you. Thank you for making my experience so enjoyable over the last four months. Although a senior, I entered into the Bengal Bouts a lowly novice back in the final weeks of October to begin my training. Since then, I have not only learned the importance of the Bengal Bouts and the Holy Cross missions, but I have also learned a great deal about myself. The Bouts have taught me that no goal is out of reach if you put in the hard work and dedication needed to succeed. In October, not knowing anything about boxing, I set a goal for myself of winning one fight. Thankfully, this past Sunday I was able to accomplish my goal and move into the quarterfinal round. Unfortunately, after an unbelievably gutsy and gritty match with sophomore Jack Peterson, my journey in the Bouts came to an end in a split decision. Congratulations Jack, great fight, good luck with the rest of the tournament. It was not until after defeat and discussions with family members that I realized how special the Bouts have been for me. As cliché as it might sound, I worked incredibly hard and devoted myself to becoming the best boxer I could, and I came out not just a better boxer, but a better person.

I have to thank the management staff for all of their work and preparation. You guys (and girls) made the process effortless and allowed the boxers to focus on fund raising and boxing. Captains and coaches, I cannot thank you enough for all of the time and knowledge you devoted to the Bouts. You taught me the importance of hard work and the true meaning of the Bouts. Thank you. Also, I want to say thank you to a handful of friends/boxers that I worked out with every single day. I don’t want a shout out enlarging their egos so I will leave their names off, but you know who you are. Thank you. You guys were great. We had a lot of fun, you guys taught me a lot about boxing and we developed great friendships in the process. Finally, thank you to my family. With the exception of my mother, who understandably could not watch her son get knocked around, many of my family members showed up for my first-round match. My father, my four brothers (my oldest brother being the best corner man anyone could ask for), uncles and cousins, my best friends and my roommates, all of the people I consider family … Thank you. Your support and love during my three minutes and 45 seconds of battle made four months of sweat more than worth it. The Bengal Bouts is a special event and I encourage anyone who has not made it out to the fights to make sure you make it out to the semifinals on Tuesday and the finals Saturday. And again, thank you.

Brian Salvi

senior

off campus

Feb. 18