-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday: Valentiger: 8 p.m., Ewing Café

Anybody heard of Ben Kweller? What about The Format or Collective Soul? Having played with all of these artists comes Valentiger, a band hailing from Grand Rapids, Mich., who will perform tonight in South Bend’s “Ewing Café” at 8 p.m. Valentiger’s new album, “Power Lines to Electric Times (PLTET)” features Brent Shirey on the vocals and guitar, Eric Kehoe on the bass and keyboards and Scott Rider on the drums. Citing the 60s as a heavy inspiration for their style, the band seeks to cultivate a mixture of warm classic sounds with contemporary experiences. Enjoy sounds similar to that of Neil Young, The Beatles and The Kinks by coming out to the Ewing Café for what promises to be a fun and entertaining night.

Friday: Yes Man: 8 and 10:30 p.m., 101 DeBartolo

Yes. Imagine making that the only word in your vocabulary. When Carl Allen (Jim Carrey) notices that his life is officially going nowhere, he realizes a change is in order. He decides to sign up for a self-help program and his life immediately veers off its monotonous course onto a path much more exciting and unexpected.

Things get increasingly better for Carl, but as we all know, what goes up must come down. Watch this hilarious Jim Carrey flick for a good laugh Friday night.

The film also stars Zooey Deschanel (“The Happening”) as Allsion, Allen’s love interest. Tickets are $3 for students.

Saturday: Hula Girls (2006): 9:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

With a tagline that reads, “They danced their way into the heart of a nation,” the film “Hula Girls” promises to be an inspirational, entertaining and heartwarming tale based on a true story. In 1965, when Japan’s largest mainland coalmine Joban faced threats of an imminent closing, the town decided to rise up and save the industry that many of their families had come to depend on. The event “Hawaiian Paradise” was created to both raise money for the mines and to lighten the gloomy mood that had befallen the town, featuring a special hula show put on by the coal miners’ daughters. As challenges befall the young women who will attempt to dance their way into the heart of their nation, they learn to knock down barriers and overcome trials.

Sunday: America the Beautiful (2007): 3:00 p.m., Browning Cinema

No topic is left untouched in the documentary “America the Beautiful,” which conquers American’s perceptions of beauty and the implications those perceptions have on our society. With topics ranging from child models to plastic surgery to celebrity worship, this winner of many international awards will make viewers question the heroes we look up to today and the industry that constantly manipulates our view of what is physically acceptable. Learn more about America’s obsession with aesthetics this Sunday in Browning Cinema.

This is a free but ticketed event.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday: Karen Lykes, 7:30 p.m., Leighton Concert Hall

Not many people can claim they’ve performed in the United States, Europe, Japan and Central America, but one woman who is known for her sensational mezzo-soprano voice can attribute all those accomplishments to her name. Karen Lykes, the associate professor of voice at the University of Cincinnati, will make a visit to Notre Dame’s campus this evening for a special performance lasting just under an hour and a half. Students of this notable professor and performer have been nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Classical Vocal Performance and the Tony Award for Outstanding Actor and Actress in a Musical. Don’t miss the opportunity to let her voice tickle your senses as she takes you on an epic journey from the Baroque period to contemporary masterpieces.

Friday: ‘The Boy in the Striped Pajamas’ (2008), 6:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

As part of the “New Perspectives in Holocaust Films” theme for this weekend’s movies in the Browning Cinema, “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” tells the tale of two young children who become best friends through the barbed wire fence of a concentration camp. Bruno is the son of a wealthy German commandant, while Shmuel is a Jewish child forced to work for the Nazi regime. Unbeknownst to the children, Shmuel’s home is the extermination camp Auschwitz. Though Bruno is forbidden from venturing to the “farm” behind his house, he secretly visits the boy who becomes his one true friend. These two boys’ fates become intertwined when, upon learning that he’ll be moving away, Bruno sneaks over to visit Shmuel one last time, an event that quickly turns tragic as the cruelty of the Nazi regime is revealed.

Saturday: Comedy Hypnotist Daniel James, 9 p.m., Washington Hall

Having been a hypnotist for almost 30 years, Daniel James knows a thing or two about the business. He’s performed at over 400 schools and universities, multiple nightclubs and on numerous cruise ships. His shows have been heralded as “hilarious” and “incredible,” and are sure to not only stun audiences, but also keep them entertained as they roar with laughter. Known for breaking activity attendance records at the schools he goes to, his show is sure to be a sellout. Make sure to pile in early before Washington Hall fills up and you miss this free chance to witness the extraordinary hypnotic talent of Daniel James.

Sunday: ‘One Day You Will Understand’ (2007), 3 p.m., Browning Cinema

Another film that falls in line with the Holocaust theme this weekend, “One Day You Will Understand” is a tale set in 1987 during the trial of Lyon’s Gestapo head Klaus Barbie. While the trial takes place, a French man grows more and more intrigued and tries to piece together his family’s history and involvement in World War II. His mother suspiciously shies away from providing him with details so he must resort to shuffling through photographs, letters and memorabilia and documents left behind by his father. He is quick to make judgments about his family’s involvement, but eventually learns that things aren’t always as they seem.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu,

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thursday: Pineapple Express at Midnight, Legends

So, the intro to this column was going to start with a quote from one of the funniest movies you’ll ever see, but seeing as a majority of the funny quotes have the f-word in them, you’ll just have to look them up on your own time (which, let me tell you, would be time well spent). Don’t miss this chance to see Seth Rogen (famous for “Superbad,” “Knocked Up” and “The 40 Year Old Virgin”) and James Franco (“Spiderman,” “Annapolis”” and “Tristan and Isolde”) embark on a druggie adventure as they run from a cop-and-drug-lord duo to escape the people who want to murder them and achieve justice, Make sure to bring tissues. You’ll be laughing so hard, you’ll cry.

Friday: The Godfather (1972) at 2:00 p.m., Browning Cinema

ND is making you an offer you can’t refuse. As the 80th anniversary of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre rolls around this weekend, celebrate your inner mobster by seeing the biggest mob classic of all time, “The Godfather.” When Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando), the leader of one of the most powerful New York Mafia families, suffers an assassination attempt, his black sheep son Michael rejoins the family to put the Corleone family back in its rightful position – leader of the Mob ring. Watch the violence, the passion and the culture that made this film one of the world’s greatest hits. Tickets are $6, $5 for faculty/staff, $4 for seniors and $3 for all students.

Saturday: Valentines from Hollywood and Broadway at 8:00 p.m., Morris Performing Arts Center

Broadway stars Anne Runolfsson and Gary Mauer will travel to South Bend on Saturday for a special Valentine’s Day performance. Singing the most beautiful love songs from Hollywood and Broadway, their show will make the audience’s hearts swell with romance, feeling like Cupid’s arrow pieced their hearts. Listen to these two, famous for performance in The Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables, belt out ballads perfect for you and the one you love. Tickets range from $24-$65 for adults and $5-$21 for students. Seniors 65 and over receive a $2 discount.

Sunday: Turtle Island Quartet with Special Guest Cyrus Chestnut, 2:00 pm, Leighton Concert Hall

On Sunday, see the 2008 Grammy-winning quartet that inaugural cellist Yo-Yo Ma deemed, “a unified voice that truly breaks new ground – authentic and passionate – a reflection of some of the most creative music-making today.” Formed over 24 years ago, the Turtle Island String Quartet performs pieces that range in style from Bluegrass to European classical to Indian and more. Not only has this group explored different styles, but it has also covered Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton songs proving the quartet’s diversity in musical taste. Don’t miss the chance to see two violins, a viola and a cello work in harmony to bring you your favorite music. Tickets are $38, $30 for faculty/staff, $29 for seniors and $15 all students.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Observer Scene | Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thursday: Inherit the Wind (1960), 6:30 and 9:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

With a title that comes from Proverbs 11:29, “He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool that shall be servant to the wise of heart,” “Inherit the Wind” plays on the idea that when one does something provocative, such as teaching Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution before it is allowed, trouble will soon follow. “Inherit the Wind” is a fictional account of the actual Scope “Monkey” Trial that took place in 1925 in which a teacher was put on trial and convicted for teaching a theory other than creationism to his Tennessee high school science class. Celebrate the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin this weekend by watching this Academy Award nominated film embellishing one of the most controversial times in educational history.

Friday: Experience the Instrumental Melodies of Ireland with Chulrua, 8 p.m., The Livery

In true fighting Irish fashion, get your jig on this weekend by attending the traditional Irish band Chulrua’s musical performance Friday night at The Livery. Reels, hornpipes, jigs and polkas will keep the pub rolling late into the night and early into the morning.

With almost 70 years of musical experience between them, Chulrua knows how to transport their audience to the stony intimate pub atmosphere that will have you knocking back pints and trading stories of your funniest memories. Tickets are $10.

Saturday: Silent Light (2008), 6:30 p.m., Browning Cinema

In a Mexican Mennonite community, a scandalous adultery has taken place forcing a man to re-evaluate his marriage, religion and path in life. When the Johan falls for a woman other than his wife and continues his affair even though he knows its wrong, questions of infidelity and the existence of a soul mate befuddle him and intrigue the audience. As Johan selfishly tries to seek the best of both worlds, his knowing wife Esther further slips into a separation from both her husband and the world she knew, showing the painful effects cheating can have on those who deserve to feel its effects the least. Before heading out Saturday night, delve into this complex cinematic accomplishment.

Sunday: Faculty Recital- Deanna Emmons, Saxophone, 4 p.m., Moreau Center for the Arts- Saint Mary’s College

A master of music with degrees from both Bluffton University and Indiana University – South Bend, Deanna Emmons will put on a jazz performance this Sunday afternoon at Saint Mary’s. With experience playing in recitals, jazz ensembles, private venues and instructing students at band camps, Emmons has immense experience that has mounted to an impressive proficiency on the saxophone. This free event will feature professional, soulful, brass wind instrument skills that will make you wish you were back in the 1920s, at a juice joint putting on the Ritz.

Contact Adriana Pratt at apratt@nd.edu.