Medical amnesty policy discussed

Members of Campus Life Council (CLC) proposed a plan to use surveys to learn more about students' views on the Medical Amnesty Policy and about the transition process for multicultural and international students at their Monday meeting.

Chief Executive Assistant Karen Koski, said questions regarding the Medical Amnesty Policy, which would protect students who have been drinking from getting in trouble while helping an intoxicated friend who is hurt or sick, will be included in student government's survey over Spring Break.

Questions like "Do you feel like you know how to handle a case of severe alcohol poisoning effectively?" and "Who do you turn to first when there is a problem while drinking?" will be included in the survey, according to Koski.

"Hopefully, this will shed some light on the actual issue at hand," she said.

Koski also said her task force will meet with a representative from the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education and four resident assistants to "get a few more opinions on this and how they see it affecting the more practical side of the policy, [like] the disciplinary procedure and ... the student psyche."

Diversity Council Representative Brigitte Githinji said her task force, which focuses on how multicultural and international students adjust to campus life, plans to send out a survey over Spring Break to find out how to improve the transition to Notre Dame for these students.

"[We are] trying to figure out if there is a divide within the students," Githinji said.

"We talked about the fact that international students seem to be sectored off into social groups and we wanted to figure out if that is by choice," she said.

"The big thing that we spent a lot of time on is a calendaring system," said Corry Colonna, rector of Zahm Hall, who reported for the task force on technology and study spaces.

Colonna said the task force is attempting to meet with agenda.nd.edu to discuss ways of improving the University's calendar system.

"We looked at other colleges and universities' calendars to see what we wanted," he said.

Colonna said his group decided they would like to include a search bar and to make the calendar aesthetically pleasing.

Student body president Bob Reish said the task force on off-campus student relations met with a representative from the Office of Residence Life and Housing (ORLH).

"ResLife doesn't typically deal with off-campus students ... There's a very low number of students who go there" for off-campus information, according to Reish.

Reish said his task force is looking at the off-campus services offered by other universities. Some of these schools include Boston College, Princeton University and Marquette University, he said.

"So far a lot of the universities we are looking at do have some sort of off-campus services," Reish said.

Fr. Jim Lewis, rector of Carroll Hall, pointed out that it is hard to make a comparison between Notre Dame and other schools.

"Notre Dame is, if not unique, nearly so, in terms of our on-campus housing," Lewis said.

Reish ended the meeting by announcing there are only four more CLC meetings scheduled for the rest of the semester. He suggested it may be necessary to schedule more meetings.

"I want to encourage all of us to work really efficiently," he said. "We just have to make sure we're meeting our mark here."