ND Softball: Squad takes five-game winning streak on the road

After a successful homestand, the Irish will take to the road to face two Big East opponents this weekend.

Notre Dame (14-11, 1-1 Big East) has won six of seven at home since March 18, and currently holds a five-game win streak.

Now, the Irish will try to bring their success along with them as they travel to Georgetown Saturday and South Florida Sunday.

Irish coach Deanna Gumpf said she thinks the recent wins prepared the team for the road trip.

"I think the girls feel good right now," she said.

This will be the first Big East road trip for the Irish, who split a doubleheader against conference foe St. John's on Sunday.

Gumpf said she did not feel Sunday's games were a good start to the Big East season. However, she said she feels the team is looking better.

"We know what we've got to do," she said. "We have to keep playing hard."

The Hoyas (5-20, 0-6) just joined the Big East this season and currently sit last in the conference standings. They have lost their last six games, all against Big East teams.

South Florida (27-13, 6-2) is currently fourth in the Big East, one spot above the Irish.

Bulls catcher Cat Olnick and pitcher Cristi Eck were named to the Big East weekly honor roll Monday for their performances in six conference games in the week before.

"The reality is we're good enough to beat anybody and we've proven that,"?Gumpf said. "But it depends 100 percent on how we play, not on how our opponent plays."

The doubleheader at Georgetown begins at 11 a.m. Saturday with the second game following directly after, and the USF doubleheader will begin at 11 a.m. Sunday with the second game right after.