Tuesday, May 14, 2024

ND Women's Tennis: No. 3 ND blanks No. 27 Indiana in Bloomington

In familiar fashion, No. 3 Notre Dame rolled to victory over No. 37 Indiana 7-0 Thursday in Bloomington, Ind. The win is the fifth victory this season in which the Irish have swept all of the matches.

The No. 3 doubles tandem of senior Kelcy Tefft and freshman Kristy Frilling got the Irish off to a good start with an 8-1 victory over their opponents in the No. 1 doubles match.

Juniors Kali Krisik and Cosmina Ciobanu followed suit, claiming a second 8-1 victory to clinch the doubles point for Notre Dame. Junior Colleen Rielley and freshman Shannon Mathews completed an Irish sweep in doubles competition with an 8-6 victory in the No. 3 doubles match.

In singles competition, Notre Dame quickly built its lead to 2-0 after Frilling overwhelmed her opponent in the No. 2 singles match 6-0, 6-1. Soon after, Ciobanu claimed her 13th straight singles victory with a 6-2, 6-2 win in the No. 3 singles match to give the Irish a commanding 3-0 lead.

Not to be outdone, Mathews clinched the match for the Irish with her convincing 6-2, 6-1 victory in the No. 4 singles match. Tefft cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 victory in No. 1 singles and sophomore Kristen Rafael claimed a 6-1, 6-3 win in No. 5 singles. In the only tightly contested match of the day, Krisik took her opponent to a third set in No. 2 singles before getting the win and completing an Irish sweep of the Hoosiers.

The win is Notre Dame's third in a row and moves the Irish to 17-2 overall.

The Irish return home to face No. 4 Baylor Tuesday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion before heading on the road for a four-match, five-day road trip that includes a rematch with top-ranked Northwestern.

After that, Notre Dame will adjust its focus to postseason play, beginning with the Big East championships scheduled for April 16 in Tampa, Fla.